Objectivism Online Forum

Angelina Jolie Discovers Ayn Rand

Rate this topic

A.West

Casting Atlas Shrugged has been a popular game since, probably, a week or so after the book came out. 30 years ago, I liked Charlton Heston for Hank Reardon, Clint Eastwood for Ellis Wyatt, Ricardo Montalban for Francisco, George Kennedy for Midas, and Jonathan Harris (Dr. Smith from the "Lost In Space" TV series) as Floyd Ferris, but it's obviously too late for any of them now.

I agree that Angelina Jolie doesn't have the kind of features I associate with Dagny. This may sound crazy given her conniving-bitch image, but I think I'd pick Shannen Doherty for the part.

Harrison Ford as Mulligan isn't a bad idea, but how about as Rearden? Maybe Glenn Close as Lillian?

Mel Gibson as Wyatt would be excellent.

Someone mentioned Denzel Washington as Mulligan. I can't see that, but I could picture him as Ragnar. Obviously you'd have to change the character's name and background, but Washington captures his essence.

For Eddie Willers, Brendan Fraser.

Orlando Bloom is way too pretty to play James Taggart. Someone who's about two parts Bloom to three parts Brad Pitt would fit my picture of Galt fairly well. For Taggart you need something like a younger Nick Nolte. Or maybe Jason Priestly?

(I realize that the real movie, if it ever happens, won't use name actors in most of the parts. But we're just having fun imagining the possibilities. And we can't exclude anyone because of their real-life philosophical beliefs, or we'd never get the thing cast at all.)

I agree with Necessary_truths that the best way to tell the story would be as a miniseries; 6 parts at least, probably 8 if you want to avoid making really painful cuts. I actually had that idea right after I first read the book, which was before there had ever been a miniseries on TV.

Well then, why not Jodie Foster as Dagny? I know the philosophies of her characters to date aren't exactly stellar, but just watch the movie Contact. In the scene where she first sees the Arecibo Telescope, just look at how she stands, judging it; and then proclaims (with a smile in her eyes), "It'll do." That's the kind of woman I'd like to see play Dagny, one who could judge a thing to be right or wrong, good or evil.

And I also agree with EdwhoiscalledEd on Mel Gibson and Harrison Ford. I'd love to see Mel laughing as his oil fields burned or Harrison as Ken Danagger with a day-dream look on his face just after Galt leaves his office.

Wait! Even better than that! Can't you just picture Harrison as Midas Mulligan, turning to Galt and saying, "Well there's something we didn't plan for, the first scab." His voice and face would be perfect for that line!

I could see Sean Connery playing Hugh Akston, but I always imagined Akston to have a skinnier body-type and no real accent. Still, Sean Connery would work also.

Necessary_Truths-You've got good taste and I was thinking the same thing, except I also think Juliette Binoche in Chocolat could play Dagny T. I'd like to see Johnny Depp for Francisco D Anconia. Harrison Ford for John Galt, although Harrison Ford is a bit older, his personality fits.

I would like to see Jennifer Garner as Dagny.

As many are opposed to Jolie...Garner would be a great choice. I also thought of Michael Vartan for Rearden...yes I know he's young...but you can always dye some hair. As for Dominique I was thinking Diane Kruger and Rose Byrne for Katie. Also, Brad Pitt is the only one that comes to mind for John Galt. He's already expresse interest in playing Howard Roarke.

p.s. I loved Pitt in Fight Club. :)

Edited by Dagny

I agree with Necessary_truths that the best way to tell the story would be as a miniseries; 6 parts at least, probably 8 if you want to avoid making really painful cuts.  I actually had that idea right after I first read the book, which was before there had ever been a miniseries on TV.

Wasn't it Grant Tinker at NBC that scuttled the Atlas Shrugged miniseries? I seem to remember AS was on slate to be a miniseries along the line of Martian Chronicles. I was a fan of MC as a kid and loved the miniseries. That was the era of the miniseries book conversions but it all ended when Tinker took over. Mind you, he did turn the network around but he cancelled the series. :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Carrie Ann-Moss (Matirx) as Dagny. I've been in endless conversations about this. She is the only actress with a hard enough face, and the right build, to play her. I know she's not blonde but other than that she's perfect. She is also the perfect age. I can't think of anyone for the other parts, I'd go with unknowns.

Maybe the Atlas Shrugged potential movie has spurred some of the actors to read it, deciding whether they wanted to do a part? This sounds also like a good sign for the movie geting done in my lifetime.

(deleted)

As an aspiring (hobbyist) filmmaker, the thought of gathering together a dedicated group of Objectivists with acting ability and doing this movie appeals to me. But I think the possibility of obtaining the necessary rights to produce the film would be slim. Even so, I like the idea of a small team of us assembling for the purpose of translating this novel into a film. I have never shot an epic film before, but the idea intrigues me.

As an aspiring (hobbyist) filmmaker, the thought of gathering together a dedicated group of Objectivists with acting ability and doing this movie appeals to me. But I think the possibility of obtaining the necessary rights to produce the film would be slim. Even so, I like the idea of a small team of us assembling for the purpose of translating this novel into a film. I have never shot an epic film before, but the idea intrigues me.

Of course! Moreover, I think that an independently produced film of Atlas, regardless of copyright restrictions, is inevitable. Consider the following:

1. Rand and Atlas Shrugged continue to excite significant numbers in each new college generation.

2. Those who follow Rand's philosophy are generally well to do and generally do well.

3. Digital filmmaking and editing has brought down the cost of a feature-length movie to a fraction of what it was 30 years ago (even without adjustments for inflation).

4. Because of the burgeoning Internet and broadband connection, instant downloading of movies is now a reality worldwide.

I'm not saying that I approve of a pirated Atlas, but I think it's likely to happen even if on an illegal basis. And if the damn thing’s good, demand will skyrocket, and neither Rand's estate nor the federal government will have the power to prevent it.

I don't expect a pirated version of "Atlas Shrugged" to emerge, for two reasons:

1. Only true Objectivists would have an interest in making this movie.

2. True Objectivists would not contradict their own ethics. Stealing copyright is unethical and we all know that.

So it won't happen. It's tragic, in an ironic way, isn't it?

I don't expect a pirated version of "Atlas Shrugged" to emerge, for two reasons:

1. Only true Objectivists would have an interest in making this movie.

2. True Objectivists would not contradict their own ethics. Stealing copyright is unethical and we all know that.

So it won't happen. It's tragic, in an ironic way, isn't it?

Ah, the old "No True Scotsman" argument! There are admirers of Atlas Shrugged all over the place, and I daresay the majority of them are far from being "true Objectivists." Bear in mind that the last big shot who came close to turning Atlas into a film also gave a cool billion to the United Nations. No "true Objectivist" indeed!

Ah, the old "No True Scotsman" argument!  There are admirers of Atlas Shrugged all over the place, and I daresay the majority of them are far from being "true Objectivists."  Bear in mind that the last big shot who came close to turning Atlas into a film also gave a cool billion to the United Nations.  No "true Objectivist" indeed!

Who was that? And what were his intentions in making an AS movie? Why did he give billions to the UN?

In response to your previous post, how could somebody willing to rip off intellectual property also like AS enough to make a movie out of it??

edit: spelling

Edited by Bryan

Who was that? 

Ted Turner.

And what were his intentions in making an AS movie?

He thought it would make a good mini-series on TNT.

Why did he give billions to the UN?

While he was making his billions he didn't have time to read The Virtue of Selfishness.

In response to your previous post, how could somebody willing to rip off intellectual property also like AS enough to make a movie out of it??

Because not all admirers of Ayn Rand believe in intellectual property rights.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Downey as Francisco -- or maybe as Halley?

Depp as Ragnar, if you could get past the hair color.

Ford as Rearden, but perhaps he's too old now.

I used to think of Connery as Akston, but maybe now we could have Ford as Akston?

Mouch must be: John Malcovich!!

I don't like Garner as Dagny; need someone who can look more elegant. It's a tough fit.

Downey as Francisco -- or maybe as Halley?

Depp as Ragnar, if you could get past the hair color.

Ford as Rearden, but perhaps he's too old now.

I used to think of Connery as Akston, but maybe now we could have Ford as Akston?

Mouch must be: John Malcovich!!

I don't like Garner as Dagny; need someone who can look more elegant. It's a tough fit.

Actually, Malcovich would make a good pouty Taggart, but maybe he's getting too old, too? How frustrating!

• 1 year later...
I talked about this with my mom a while ago and we thought that the best way for the movie to be made would be to cast unknown actors. That way the actor's political viewpoints or roles in other movies would not influence the people who have not read the book. I don't especially like Angelina Jolie. She doesn't come across as a very strong or intelligent woman. She is also extremely sexual, and I imagined Dagny as a more plain and basic, I guess. :P

Angelina just doesn't do it for me, neither intellectually nor physically. Denzel Washington might make a good background prime mover, like Wyatt or Mulligan; Sean Connery might be good as Dr Aktson, but I still thing the best way would be to get unknown actors.

We have a serious disagreement here. I am noy sure that Jolie should be Dagny, but Dagny was the most sexual, as sexual is in Rand (and my) meaning of the word than any other woman I have ever read in print

Casting Atlas Shrugged has been a popular game since, probably, a week or so after the book came out. 30 years ago, I liked Charlton Heston for Hank Reardon, Clint Eastwood for Ellis Wyatt, Ricardo Montalban for Francisco, George Kennedy for Midas, and Jonathan Harris (Dr. Smith from the "Lost In Space" TV series) as Floyd Ferris, but it's obviously too late for any of them now.

I agree that Angelina Jolie doesn't have the kind of features I associate with Dagny. This may sound crazy given her conniving-bitch image, but I think I'd pick Shannen Doherty for the part.

Harrison Ford as Mulligan isn't a bad idea, but how about as Rearden? Maybe Glenn Close as Lillian?

Mel Gibson as Wyatt would be excellent.

Someone mentioned Denzel Washington as Mulligan. I can't see that, but I could picture him as Ragnar. Obviously you'd have to change the character's name and background, but Washington captures his essence.

For Eddie Willers, Brendan Fraser.

Orlando Bloom is way too pretty to play James Taggart. Someone who's about two parts Bloom to three parts Brad Pitt would fit my picture of Galt fairly well. For Taggart you need something like a younger Nick Nolte. Or maybe Jason Priestly?

(I realize that the real movie, if it ever happens, won't use name actors in most of the parts. But we're just having fun imagining the possibilities. And we can't exclude anyone because of their real-life philosophical beliefs, or we'd never get the thing cast at all.)

I agree with Necessary_truths that the best way to tell the story would be as a miniseries; 6 parts at least, probably 8 if you want to avoid making really painful cuts. I actually had that idea right after I first read the book, which was before there had ever been a miniseries on TV.

I disagree on Glenn Close she is a biy old for the part and Lillian despite her moral corruption, was a beatiful woman. I see Gwenyth Paltrow as Lillian beatiful but hateable Gibson won't do the movie he is way to religious to get involved in a production that is obviously an atheist driven novel (and unlike the redt og Hollywood I bet Mel has read the book!)