Objectivism Online Forum

Jennifer Burns: Goddess of the Market

Rate this topic

earwax

I am currently listening to the audiobook of the Anne C Heller book 'Ayn Rand and the World She Made.' I was actually more interested in the book by Burns. I saw her on John Stewart where I thought she did quite well. Unfortunately its not on audiobook so I may actually have to read it. Anyone else reading this one right now?

I am currently listening to the audiobook of the Anne C Heller book 'Ayn Rand and the World She Made.' I was actually more interested in the book by Burns. I saw her on John Stewart where I thought she did quite well. Unfortunately its not on audiobook so I may actually have to read it. Anyone else reading this one right now?

http://forum.ObjectivismOnline.com/index.php?showtopic=17572

• 1 month later...

Hello,

This is my first post.

I am almost finished this book. Mostly well done and generally even handed.

However, I have found a few errors in reference to Atlas Shrugged which bother me... if she is wrong about Dagny Taggart's hair colour, just how closely did she read the novel? Did she skim it to find quotes and carry on with her writing? Troubling.

I hope to interview the author soon.

DagnyRearden.

• 2 years later...

Just saw an article by Jennifer Burns, on Bloomberg. You can judge her ignorance of Objectivism from this quote:

Mitt Romney, the Republican candidate and former titan of private equity, embodies Rand’s belief in the moral rectitude of free-market capitalism. A secretly videotaped speech Romney gave to a private fundraising audience -- in which he asserted that 47 percent of Americans were “dependent upon government” -- was an excellent distillation of this worldview.

Not reading Burns at the moment, but I learned a lot from her. One interesting revelation is that Rand was politically active, and building a reputation, as early as the 1930s. Burns is more academic than Heller and less personal.

TAS had some remarks on Romney's 47%: http://www.atlassociety.org/ele/romney-47-percent.