Objectivism Online Forum

Moving to Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Rate this topic

Glad you're staying on O.Online, Thomas as I appreciate your insights and knowledge.

The best of luck to you.

Thank you. No I don't plan on giving up Objectivism just because I am in a personal crises, that's for sure. It will be different living with my parents, but though I will lose some independence, I will still have computer access and should be able to still write on various forums. I will look forward to keeping in contacts with my friends via email and phone and this board.

Thales: Yes, I see what you are saying about resumes. The thing is that I have been having a scatter shot regarding looking for a job, since I want the best chances of getting hired, hence my resume is one copy does it all, but I will look it over and tweak it as I think is necessary given the advise I have been given here and elsewhere. Thanks.

Sometime early next year, the Feds will be hiring about a million people short-term, to help conduct the census. Unless you have an ideological objection, keep your eye out for that. Not sure what types of jobs they have and whether some might be weekend jobs or evening jobs. Also, I wonder if there are some types of companies that ramp up certain positions around XMas time -- if so, that might be another source of some short-term employment.

Edited by softwareNerd

Also, I wonder if there are some types of companies that ramp up certain positions around XMas time -- if so, that might be another source of some short-term employment.

The postal service and Borders Bookstores do this, that I know of in my area. But I'd think that they'd be hiring before the biggest shopping day of the year (Reason's Harvest) already, but perhaps there are openings for temp spots.

I've seen various seasonal jobs that I could apply for, but then I'd be right back where I am in mid January. If I had money saved for another couple of months of looking for a job, I would do it, but my options have run out. Better, I think, to move in with my parents and then I can take a temp job and have a place to stay until I get a permanent job. My situation isn't all that great right now. By cutting my expenses in half with my parent's help I think I can weather the storm of unemployment. It's not pretty, and I hate having to turn to them, but that is my best option right now. I don't want to be laid off in mid January and have to start all over again in finding a job. I'd rather get something more permanent that will carry me through for years to come, and maybe advance within the company. If I had a partner in marriage and she was working I could go the temporary route, but I don't think I can afford to do that right now given my circumstances. Thank you all for your advise. I'll do what I can to make it through this in the most rational way I can.

• 2 weeks later...

Since I am moving tomorrow (if things go well) I will be out of pocket until later this month, so don't worry if I cannot reply to threads I am involved in until later this month (assuming I'll have internet connection by about the 20th of December). Thanks again for all of your well wishes for a safe journey and getting a job in Pittsburgh once I get there.

In case anyone was wondering, I did make it to Pittsburgh and unloaded the truck and I'm now moved in with my parents. It's going to take me a while to feel at home because I don't know my way around anywhere here, and the roads are all winding and snaky, like a river. I prefer the nice more or less straight roads of Dallas. Guess I'll have to learn how to drive here and find my way around. Still have to officially become a Pennsylvania resident, but I am working on that. I'm sorry I had to say goodbye to Dallas, but I had to do something to cut my costs,and moving was really my only option. Take care and write to me if you want to. I still hope to have a job by the beginning of next year, and I will have to find my way around to do that. I'll try to keep in touch with my friends over the years.

In case anyone was wondering, I did make it to Pittsburgh

Oh, good. Welcome. :D

I don't know my way around anywhere here, and the roads are all winding and snaky, like a river. I prefer the nice more or less straight roads of Dallas.

Hilly, too. (and snow covered, they were on my ride home a few minutes ago.)

I still hope to have a job by the beginning of next year, and I will have to find my way around to do that. I'll try to keep in touch with my friends over the years.

I use Google Maps to find my way around here, since, even though I have lived here all my life, I don't go out much, so I don't always know where this or that is. Your parents probabaly could help as well, I know my Dad knows his way around, working in a steel mill most of his life, going out to various bars, living different places here, and later after retiring from the mill, driving a truck, and money trucks around for the city now, he knows his way pretty well. Hope all goes well for you here, Thomas.

Oh, good. Welcome. :dough:

Thank you for your welcome. Yes,not only are the roads winding and hilly, they are now covered in snow. So, this will be an adventure in that I haven't had to drive in snow for about 25 years,and will still have to get to know my way around. If my family members can do it,I can, but it is going to take a while.Off to apply to jobs, so yes I will be making use of computer maps to find my way around.