Objectivism Online Forum

WYSIWYG mode / Rich Text Editor

Rate this topic

Skieski

First off, I apologize if the WYSIWYG mode is already installed and I have not spotted a button to access it.

If that, however, is not the case I would like to request its implementation.

For those users not aware of what WYSIWYG stands for: What You See Is What You Get.

What is this mode? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WYSIWYG

I have recently implemented it in my forum and it certainly does make posting easier for some users. I have it set as a default option. However, if any user wishes to go back to the codes mode, he can easily do so by clicking a button.

Just thought that it could improve and simplify posting if added here. Thanks in advance.

PS: Yes, that is a lot of "Implemented".

I believe Safari doesn't support it.

If you use Firefox you should have WYSIWYG available to you.

I do not believe that the WYSIWYG mode is applied via browsers, but via forums/websites.

Of course, I could be mistaken.

When editing a post, do you see an icon that allows you to switch to the "Rich Text editor". Some things (e.g. bold and italics) will show up WYSIWYG while a few others (e.g. quote-blocks) will still appear as codes. I know IE and FF support the Rich-text editor, while Chrome does not (at least not in its default download).

post-1227-1259613127.jpg

If clicking it works for you, the next step is to go to the My Controls option, and look for "Options ---> Board Settings" on the left hand side. In the screen that comes up, one of the last options listed says: "Type of text editor to use when posting". Set this to "Rich Text Editor" so that it is your default. The option has a note saying: "Rich Text Editor requires either IE6+, Mozilla / Firefox or Opera 9+"

post-1227-1259613127_thumb.jpg

Edited by softwareNerd

I did not know it by the name "Rich Text Editor", that´s why I missed the button function.

Thanks for clarifying softwareNerd, it is appreciated. I apologize for posting in the wrong forum.

Edited by Skieski

• 8 months later...

I see that the thumbnails posted here don't look like the current text editor, so I was wondering if there is anything currently in the text editor that produces more non-standard (and, in particular, mathematical and logical) symbols. I'd like to point out, if there isn't already something which handles this, that www.mathhelpforum.com uses a text-editor which takes commands like those in LaTeX, and since that is so ubiquitous in the sciences, and even for some who are not in the sciences... You know. That kind of thing could be free. Would be nice. Just sayin.

Below, I'm going to experiment a bit with some attempts at doing just this, so ignore it.

∞

∞

What is a marquee?

&#10132

Edited by aleph_0

• 3 years later...

I get the WYSIWYG option, but recently the pop-ups for they hyperlink, image, and the ability to copy and paste from notepad into the reply space have ceased to operate.

The hyperlink window has several more fields and option that do not appear to work, and trying to cancel fails. A screen refresh is required to close the pop-up.

Image does not activate the ok or cancel buttons.

ctrl-v does not deliver the contents any longer.

It does not appear to be a board issue, as these functions appear to work from other computers.

I'm running IE11 on Windows 7. I just noticed this recently. It has been a while since I last used these functions successfully. Trying to isolate why this recently started is like searching for a needle in a haystack.

Edited: I can paste with other forums, and pop-up controls appear to work on other forums as well.

Edited by dream_weaver

I uninstalled IE11, and the WYSIWYG toolbar appears to work, on both IE8 and IE10.

I found this on the forum software site: IE11 Copy/Paste and Quote issues

Has this fix been implemented?

edited.

Edited by dream_weaver

Thanks for doing the research and posting this. Turns out the fix was already in the "Desktop" theme.

I've applied the patch for the default theme.

I put it in the Desktop theme yesterday... My apparently blind eyes thought it looked liked it was already in the IP.Board theme, so I thought you had already fixed that one, sNerd!

Thank-you gentlemen. I would like to tell you that resolved it.

The different computers I ran my initial tests on were not running IE11.

The issues I'm seeing on 11 impact the copy/paste, quote and multi-quote, link, and image functionalities. The copy/paste hook looked like it might have been the fix.

I'm not sure what else to search on to see if it is my computer system or the board software.

Edited by dream_weaver

The issues I'm seeing on 11 impact the copy/paste, quote and multi-quote, link, and image functionalities. The copy/paste hook looked like it might have been the fix.

I'm not sure what else to search on to see if it is my computer system or the board software.

Both the hook and the code replacements have been in place since this morning (I wasn't sure if you meant that the hook had already fixed the copy/paste for you).

Have you already tried the link at the bottom of the Invision page, from Microsoft?

I upgraded to IE11 this evening, and the issues still persisted.

I've tried the programmatic clipboard access (PCA) before the hook was implemented and it did not help. To be fair. I did not try it in the trial run this evening.

Other forums I've accessed with IE11 the copy paste worked even with out activating the PCA.

edit: Right now, I'm rolled back to IE10 - so it is working for me currently.

edited from IE11: The issues persist even after restarting the browser as recommended with the PCA enabled.

Edited by dream_weaver

Reading through some threads at Invision's forum, their official position on IE11 is "we don't support it yet, try another browser."

However, some customers said they got the fix to work after the code patches and the programmatic clipboard access by also clearing the cache for everything you can associated with this site. If it STILL doesn't work... Invision basically told them "Oh well for now. Get a Mac." (No joke.)

Another customer said a not-great workaround was flipping the little light switch in the upper left of the reply box next to your profile pic.

Thanks Jaskin. It is an IE11/Invision issue, and not my system. I'll settle with the IE10 solution for now.

On a personal positive note, it's nice to know I can still research the issues with more or less the same results (less the 'little light switch' toggle trick.)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.