Objectivism Online Forum

My Vignettes: Life Inspired

Rate this topic

Eiuol

I've been writing some vignettes lately that I've been proud of. Some are abstract in nature, others are realistic. But they all have themes about living life.

Please go take a look, especially if you like writing that focuses on living life. I'll post two of the stories here that are my favorite. If you enjoy, please let me know! They rest are currently on my blogspot web page: http://wlwords.blogspot.com/

Heart and Mind

Heart says no. Mind says no. I don’t understand it.

I guess it’s because Heart only felt frustration. He could never know anything. How could he possibly even desire what he never knew? Heart cannot know, he can only feel. He is always struggling to find happiness. He is eternally reaching in the dark. All he finds is more frustration. No matter where he reached, nothing could be grasped. Everything fell away. Heart could never hold onto what he found, even when he did find self-confidence. Anything he found was always falling back down into the darkness,

Or maybe it’s because Mind could never feel what he found. Everything felt like nothing. Mind cannot feel, he can only know. He’d find happiness and self-confidence all the time, but what could he do with it? Stumbling across these things never helped him live, they were always just there. The world is illuminated for Mind, but every moment is exactly like the previous moment. He could hold onto happiness forever, but no matter what he did, the happiness did nothing.

I don’t understand why Heart and Mind don’t get along. They fit each other so perfectly.

Zombie

I was walking across the street. Then I realized they were all zombies. It was always like this, I don’t know why I only just realized. Everyone around me has always been a zombie. Maybe I was always a zombie too. But now I’m no longer a zombie.

It seems so clear! But no one else realizes! I just realized there’s something called life. It’s actually pretty good, I always thought it was bad. I mean, I wasn’t ever supposed to reach for what I wanted. It would only hurt me in the end they said, since we’d just die. Really the best anyone could do was make the end hurt less. If there’s no life, there is no pain. If there is no pain, then you are liberated of the prison that is feeling. I was told this when I was little, so I believed it. Then they injected me, so I wouldn’t age, wouldn’t feel, wouldn’t want, wouldn’t desire. Then there was nothing.

I accidentally stepped in the sun, someone walked into me. I started to feel. I realized the sun renews life I didn’t want to be alive, it sounded scary. How could I fix it? I didn’t need to fix it though. This didn’t hurt at all. I felt. Life felt happy. It was good. Maybe I actually just turned into a monster that is a feeling human. A freak. Well, it doesn’t matter anymore. I’m alive and that is that. So I’ll just dance in the street for a while. Or maybe I’ll just push some more people into the sun…