Objectivism Online Forum

Nutritional Diet

Rate this topic

ALS

I recently had to go to hospital after suffering periodic severe stomach pains resulting in vomitting, the diagnosis was inflamed appendix and they decided not to take my appendix out. I asked what I could do to prevent it and the doctor said that it is not certain that it will or won't come back (the pain) but by having a healthy diet it will reduce the risk.

Anyway I received a book that was based on a tv series called "You Are What You Eat" written by nutritionist Dr Gillian McKeith.

In it contains a section warning of cooked food asserting that 85% of nutrients become unavailable and all enzymes destroyed. She also goes on to mention the same process pertaining to proteins and vitamins (mainly 50% lost).

She mentions a study of medical researchers where they found that a diet full of cooked food may cause brain reduction.

Her own study revealed that people who only eat cooked food have blood cells that appear to be in a constant state of alert, as if fighting an infection.

I'm sceptical of this as throughout the book she warns of the dangers of organic food, tells you to not drink tap water, and dangers of cancer from pesticide on crops.

I've read the Skeptical Environmentalist and all the warnings on organic food and pesticide is just scare mongering.

That said, can anyone verify her warnings of the dangers of cooked food or is it just scare mongering? also can anyone recommend websites and books regarding healthy nutritional diets.

Anyway I received a book that was based on a tv series called "You Are What You Eat" written by nutritionist Dr Gillian McKeith.

In it contains a section warning of cooked food asserting that 85% of nutrients become unavailable and all enzymes destroyed. She also goes on to mention the same process pertaining to proteins and vitamins (mainly 50% lost).

She mentions a study of medical researchers where they found that a diet full of cooked food may cause brain reduction.

Her own study revealed that people who only eat cooked food have blood cells that appear to be in a constant state of alert, as if fighting an infection.

I'm sceptical of this as throughout the book she warns of the dangers of organic food, tells you to not drink tap water, and dangers of cancer from pesticide on crops.

I've read the Skeptical Environmentalist and all the warnings on organic food and pesticide is just scare mongering.

That said, can anyone verify her warnings of the dangers of cooked food or is it just scare mongering? also can anyone recommend websites and books regarding healthy nutritional diets.

Destruction of enzymes in cooked food is irrevelant. Plant enzymes are for the plant, not for digeston. The body makes its own enzymes for digestion.

I have a cassette tape of a debate between Vetrano, taking the view that the ideal diet is 100% raw, and Cinque, taking the view that sometimes diet can be greatly improved by adding some cooked food to it, no more than 20% and only starchy foods. A wealth of information was provided on both sides and the result seemed to be that both sides won the debate.

I avoid pesticides that work by killing motor neurons of insects, considering that more than 80% of my motor neurons are already gone. If there is a "risk" it is unacceptable to me.

Organic is not dangerous, but often over-rated and often over-priced. And much that passes as organic is not organic; you can prove this by reading labels. There is a lot of b***sh** in "health food stores".

It has been said that foods grown in the best soil can have dozens or hundreds of times as much of certain micronutrients as in the same species in average soil. I have not seen -convincing- evidence of this kind of extreme. But USDA data shows that amounts of nutrients in plants has decreased, probably because of soil. And certain individuals in the INHS discussion group have testified that cucumbers etc. grown in superior soil taste better than those grown in average soil.

The United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) has free data consisting of nutrient contents of foods. There are many computer programs based on that, some of them free, both Windows and Linux. The latest data is SR17 with about 6800 foods and more than 100 nutrients.

• 1 year later...
also can anyone recommend websites and books regarding healthy nutritional diets.

My good friend recommended South Beach Diet and the book by the author of the diet, Dr. Arthur Agatson. You can see it online on yahoo or google.

I read the book. As you are interested in the HEALTH aspect, I shall only deal with that aspect. This doctor is a cardiologist and the diet was designed with his patients in mind for good blood chemistry. By that it means the ratio of good:bad cholesterol is favorable, triglycerides is low, etc. It is only incidental that one loses weight too.

I tried organic food for some 6-9 months when I was going to be pregnant. Maybe its the peace of mind but the apples expensive, about three times the price, do taste better.

I find the nutritional field very subjective, I was under the opinion that science is part measurement

a specific thing in a specific time for specific reaction. I haven't found to date any specifics that say if you ate so many grams of apples or oranges or spinach or white meat or red meat how many cigarettes or cigars how many alcoholic drinks will cause this that or the other thing.

I find the nutritional field very subjective, I was under the opinion that science is part measurement

a specific thing in a specific time for specific reaction. I haven't found to date any specifics that say if you ate so many grams of apples or oranges or spinach or white meat or red meat how many cigarettes or cigars how many alcoholic drinks will cause this that or the other thing.

It is a question of COST ! Money. Green back. Dollars and cents. :D It would take a lot of money and a long time to conduct such experiments as well as the controls. Dr. Agatson says it better and if I happen to chance that section in his book, which I read here and there, once in a while, to get a grasp of it to explain to my family and friends, then I will cite and quote what he said to you , here.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year :santa: