Objectivism Online Forum

Iron Man 2

Rate this topic

Sabre

(Good thing a friend of mine sent me this link. Can't find it on Youtube. :P )

http://marvel.com/news/moviestories.10674....ailer_now~excl~

The trailer starts with Stark defending his property against the government taking it. The villian is presented with an anti-industrialist mentality as well (Whiplash).

I think everyone here can get behind this. :thumbsup:

I'm psyched!

• 2 weeks later...
(Good thing a friend of mine sent me this link. Can't find it on Youtube. :( )

http://marvel.com/news/moviestories.10674....ailer_now~excl~

The trailer starts with Stark defending his property against the government taking it. The villian is presented with an anti-industrialist mentality as well (Whiplash).

I think everyone here can get behind this. :(

I'm psyched!

Cool that they are making another one....

...is it just me or does Tony Stark have the flair and personality of Francisco d'Anconia? haha I love it.

It looks . . . okay. A lot of it is more from a libertarian perspective than a truly Objectivist one ("I successfully privatized world peace!") The first Iron Man was philosophically inconsistent and shallow--just like libertarianism--as well. It was certainly enjoyable to watch, but I expect there will be a lot of subtext that I don't like involved, which makes it harder for me to enjoy. Oddly enough, I can enjoy a movie that is 65% bad because I'm not expecting anything more than a special effects extravaganza, but switch it around to only 35% bad and I become sad because I can see so very clearly what it *could* be if they'd just gone down the road a bit further.

This is a personal judgment on how enjoyable I'll find the movie, though, not on the movie itself being objectively good or bad. I liked Wall-E because there were some very good elements in there that surprised me a lot, and it was a bright and cheerful movie in an otherwise drab year. Iron Man 2 looks like it'll be worth seeing, though.

Edited by JMeganSnow

It looks . . . okay. A lot of it is more from a libertarian perspective than a truly Objectivist one

Coming from Hollywood, even Libertarianism sounds a lot better than whatever else is available on screen lately (Avatar....).

I find I really enjoy all Robert Downey Jr.'s characters lately. Ironman is a self-made hero, Holmes fights mysticism with reason. What more can you want?

Coming from Hollywood, even Libertarianism sounds a lot better than whatever else is available on screen lately (Avatar....).

I find I really enjoy all Robert Downey Jr.'s characters lately. Ironman is a self-made hero, Holmes fights mysticism with reason. What more can you want?

Having seen Avatar, not realizing what it was really about until I was watching it...I have to say that even the preview for Iron Man looks better. Watching Avatar was like watching some [demented] ecologist's wet dream come to life on the big screen. I can't remember the last time I felt disgusted at the end of a movie. Even bad movies I have seen in the past I've been able to shrug off and say "oh, that was just silly"...but this was a bit of a different reaction for me. I have to say, however, the visual effects were absolutely stunning in 3D.

Watching Avatar was like watching some [demented] ecologist's wet dream come to life on the big screen.

It made me think of what Al Gore would have done if he had computer skills that exceed the use of PowerPoint.

Do you think James Cameron will win a Nobel Prize?

It made me think of what Al Gore would have done if he had computer skills that exceed the use of PowerPoint.

Do you think James Cameron will win a Nobel Prize?

I wouldn't make that comparison. Did I see the same movie as you did? Gore makes a career out of the environmentalist stuff, whereas it was just one aspect of this movie.

Foremost, the movie was a visual and technical feat. Then it was about a character who had suffered a loss, then it was about protecting what is rightfully yours, then it was a love story, and then it was about other things. Like the environment, what group the bad guys belonged to, cross-space civilization speculation... etc. The environmentalist element was minimal, and faulty, at that, as has been noted. I suspect it's being emphasized here because outside of Avatar it is such a huge element of our culture.

I wouldn't make that comparison. Did I see the same movie as you did? Gore makes a career out of the environmentalist stuff, whereas it was just one aspect of this movie.

"Cameron revealed the liberal undertones in his new blockbuster as he told the Today co-anchor the plot centers on how greed and imperialism 'tends to destroy the environment...' and how the human characters in the sci-fi flick 'are doing the same thing on another pristine planet that we've done on earth.' " (from http://newsbusters.org/blogs/geoffrey-dick...paganda-avatar)

See, the plot centers on it. And to be honest, the CGI made the entire film look like a cartoon. There's no redeeming this hack.

Yeah. I know the effects were popular with just about everyone, but I felt like, as close to real as the made-up creatures looked, the flesh-and-blood humans in the movie had just the same surreality.

I didn't care about their popularity. My own observation was that was the best use of CGI that I've ever seen in a movie. The 3D worked quite well as well.

I didn't care about their popularity. My own observation was that was the best use of CGI that I've ever seen in a movie. The 3D worked quite well as well.

The 3-D was a kick in the teeth! Yeah it was seamless and it worked, but all you got was one character standing slightly closer to you than another every once in a while. Nothing popped out at you or made you lean in your seat in an effort to dodge its careening onslaught. I had more fun watching SpyKids 3. And as for the CGI, it was indeed the best yet, but that doesn't impress me much. I thought Lord of the Rings got a lot more done with just miniatures and motion capture.

Although the trailer starts out looking like it might have an objectivist or at least libertarian leaning theme, I worry that it may end up actually sporting the complete opposite.

I draw this conclusion mainly from the fact that this movie is supposed to deal with Tony Starks Alcoholism and it may be their intention to portray selfish, greedy, and reckless, so that he can later on renounce those values when he overcomes his addiction.