Objectivism Online Forum

Ayn Rand's loved and hated movie list

Rate this topic

Thanks for that. I recall reading Miss Rand talk about other movies in one of her books but can't remember now which one it was and my books are in another place now. Any ideas which book(s) it was she talked of movies in?

Here's a list of some of her favorite actors and directors and the films they made.

Also, of note, is a list of the movies Frank O Connor was in.

http://movies.dhwritings.com/Titles_PHP.php

Edited to put in the link I forgot!

Edited by QuoVadis

There was a movie called Wild Is the Wind, which she didn’t like. Leonard Peikoff was really attracted to the main actress, Anna Magnani, so he recommended the movie to Ayn Rand, but he didn’t mention why. Finally, she was very upset and indignant when she saw it, because there were some strong and shocking scenes in it, but Dr. Peikoff was focused on the actress, so he discounted all those elements. It's a funny story, at least when Dr. Peikoff tells it.

I recall reading that she was angry at the way they did The Fountainhead too.

While she was initially promised control over the script they made several changes she disapproved of and softened her message to make it more palatable for the public.

They wanted to abridge the courtroom speech, Rand convinced them not to do so.

They wanted to abridge the courtroom speech, Rand convinced them not to do so.

They did take out a phrase of Roark's that Rand wanted in there, and she was mad about that. However, I've never heard that she actually hated the movie. Unfortunately I can't remember what the phrase was; maybe it will come to me later.