Objectivism Online Forum

Add me on Facebook if you are an Objectivist.

Rate this topic

Yikes! Wasn't a command. Do or do not do. Whatever. Looking to network with other Objectivists that want to network. Otherwise, who cares? Not me.

Then best not to use the imperative.

No big thing, but the obvious question that arises, is "why would someone want to?" How have you made yourself a value to someone? It's a bit like walking up to a girl you've never met and asking her out. What would you think about the kind of girl who simply said, "oh sure.."

Don't get defensive, why not stick around, make some friends and do it the old-fashioned way...

Well, it was only meant as an open invitation and it remains as one. Of course, I filter my FB friends as I already ignore some users here. Still, my initial impression of the community is that it seems hostile. Already numerous ad homs. Not defensive. Just disappointed. But I will keep an eye on the sight for a while and see. Thanks for the softer tone.

Edited by Chris LeRoux

Well, it was only meant as an open invitation and it remains as one. Of course, I filter my FB friends as I already ignore some users here. Still, my initial impression of the community is that it seems hostile. Already numerous ad homs. Not defensive. Just disappointed. But I will keep an eye on the sight for a while and see. Thanks for the softer tone.

Do you think it reads as being particularly inviting?

Forums are the wild west. Good people can be found anywhere. So can bad. Objectivism is not immune from kooks and weirdos and a few inhabit the board.

But then you're bound to get lots of em show up if you actually don't care who you trade with. Being an Objectivist doesn't make one valuable in and of itself. Nor does knowing you're one make you so to anyone else. Get more discerning about your personal relationships and you might find that it doesn't matter where you hang out. The best people here wont respond to such a plea. You'll have to earn their respect. But he worst certainly will. Consider tha you may be fueling your own disappointment.

Had no delusions about self proclaimed Objectivists nor assumed everyone on this site was one. Still, the tone seems hostile and thats not really my style. I'm blunt but not interested in the wild west. More power to you all to shoot it out with ad homs and earn each other's respect. Later. Good luck and best wishes.

21 posts, and gone so soon.

I don't see any ad hominem attacks.

Seems strange to me that someone who describes himself as "blunt" would get so out of sorts when people respond in kind.

My advice? Chill out and contribute to the forum. Then we'll get to know you (at least as well as anyone on the internet knows anyone else on the internet) and things will progress (or not) from there.

Welcome to OO.net

You should just throw a Facebook link in your signature. Anyone interested can click it. That's what I did.

Hey, there's an idea. :thumbsup:

Of course, you have to say something in front of the sig that actually makes someone interested in friending them...