Objectivism Online Forum

Warnings?

Rate this topic

There's a little "warn" thing on the side of the control panel..what's that about?

Maybe I should just be happy I've not had occassion to find out?

If a Mod "warns" someone, that 0% gets incremented. It goes from 0% to 20% to 40% ...etc. It can also be decremented, back to o%. The percent itself does not mean anything: just shows the number of warnings.

Only the member himself and other Mods can see that warning level.

It acts as a way for other Mods to know that a person has been warned about something (because Mods can add short notes along with a warning.) It also acts as a reminder about why the person was warned.

If a Mod "warns" someone, that 0% gets incremented. It goes from 0% to 20% to 40% ...etc. It can also be decremented, back to o%. The percent itself does not mean anything: just shows the number of warnings.

Only the member himself and other Mods can see that warning level.

It acts as a way for other Mods to know that a person has been warned about something (because Mods can add short notes along with a warning.) It also acts as a reminder about why the person was warned.

Thanks... I was curious mainly because of the %... if you hit 100% do you get banned? (not that I plan on testing it :D )

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks... I was curious mainly because of the %... if you hit 100% do you get banned? (not that I plan on testing it :thumbsup: )

In theory, yes, if you hit 100% you get banned. However, people almost always manage to get themselves banned long before then because their bad behavior is extremely egregious--we're not going to wait around for them to prove FIVE times that we're not interested in enduring their company.

We're also fairly lax about handing out warnings--usually you'll only get warned at all if the behavior was something that might cause an outright ban in other circumstances but you were, say, provoked by a personal attack or you've shown that you're a good poster MOST of the time. If we handed out more warnings for minor stuff, that 100% might get used more often.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes, a newbie does something that makes mods think he is trolling. I forget the facts in your case, but it has happened a few times that someone ends up being an active and valued member and yet they started off with a warning. In such cases, mods will usually remove the warning(s)...but, often the whole incident is forgotten (by everyone except the member who keeps seeing that irritating 20% ;) ).

Edited by softwareNerd