Objectivism Online Forum

Making life extraordinary

Rate this topic

...Though I'll present it simply. I have this belief, which probably a lot of you share, that I can make my life better. That's the normal thought I have. Every once in a while, however, I get this glimmer of a thought: I could make my life extraordinary. And it's my job to do it.

My problem is, I keep forgetting this. Seriously, I can forget it for days or weeks at a time.

The question: how do you all remind yourselves of this (probably crucial) fact? I'm looking for ideas, here, because what seems to hold me back the most in life is simply forgetting how much I really am in control, and have the potential for great happiness and fulfillment.

How do you remember to push yourselves onwards towards great things? How do you keep in mind--in those moments when making the right choice to keep momentum going seems too difficult--that there is a greater gain to come?

A psychologist recommends this excercise to get your mind focused on action.

I don't think that helps much though. It's good advice if you are lacking self-confidence, but if you have the confidence, then what? What specific actions can be taken right now? You can be happy and still want to reach for more. That is always the most difficult. Achieving extraordinary success requires extraordinary action. I think surrounding yourself with people who have a common goal of yours and feel passionate about it in the same way as you. By talking about your passions with people, it's easier to focus your mind on goals/passions as well as letting those goals/passions sink into your subconscious.

I'd say formulate a plan for yourself. Not quite short term, not quite long term. For instance, I want to make $100 on my writing by June, even though I've only been making an effort to become a writer for a month. Such a goal reminds me in explicit terms that *I* have to make it happen. *Any* writing I do will lead to my goal of $100.

What about your life do you want to be extraordinary, though? What field/profession?