Objectivism Online Forum

"Health Care is a Right Petition"

Rate this topic

brianleepainter

Earlier this afternoon I went to a local Head shop here in Austin, Texas. I browsed around for a bit

and upon heading to the exit I was greeted with bold, vibrant text near the exit stating"Health Care As A Civil Right Petition."

I grabbed one of the many printed petitions in order to read over the unsettling document, and in hopes of scanning in a copy

to show you guys.

I do think a head shop advocating for the government to take their hands off of marijuana and other drugs yet wanting

government involvement in another area of their life is a blatant contradiction. Isn't it? This inconsistency ruined my

shopping experience to say the least! Anyways, here is the petition form:

post-7444-1263674473_thumb.jpg

Earlier this afternoon I went to a local Head shop here in Austin, Texas. I browsed around for a bit

and upon heading to the exit I was greeted with bold, vibrant text near the exit stating"Health Care As A Civil Right Petition."

I grabbed one of the many printed petitions in order to read over the unsettling document, and in hopes of scanning in a copy

to show you guys.

I do think a head shop advocating for the government to take their hands off of marijuana and other drugs yet wanting

government involvement in another area of their life is a blatant contradiction. Isn't it? This inconsistency ruined my

shopping experience to say the least! Anyways, here is the petition form:

post-7444-1263674473_thumb.jpg

This is no surprise to me because I basically think most people are statists to the degree where they want the state to call whatever they think is important a "right." A rational person will promote their values in a private sense while a statist figures it's best to have the government legislate their values.

In this case, the government shouldn't criminalize marijuana, but should make sure that every individual has "free" healthcare. They don't see that there is a contradiction to thinking that everyone should have the right to smoke while also having the right to have others pay for whatever medical issues result.

When you say that health care is not a right, it means you do not believe the government should provide you with health care.

When you say that health care is a right, you are saying that I have a right to a doctor if I stuff my face with fat, and continue to do so complication after complication

When you say that health care is a right only if there is an emergency that was out of your control completely, you are saying that health care is a right some of the time, not all of the time. That is unacceptable. Either it's a right, or it's not.

So which is it?