Objectivism Online Forum

OCON 2010

Rate this topic

Is anyone planning to go to OCON 2010? It's being held in Las Vegas this year, July 2 to 10, at the Red Rock Resort.

http://objectivistconferences.com/

I'm thinking about going, but it's a long trip from New Zealand. I'm interested both in the talks and in networking with fellow O-ists. How have past conferences been? Are they generally worth the time and expense?

Edited by LovesLife

I'm thinking about going, but it's a long trip from New Zealand. I'm interested both in the talks and in networking with fellow O-ists. How have past conferences been? Are they generally worth the time and expense?

My wife and I are planning to attend. We live in the SF Bay Area, so it's about a day's drive to Las Vegas -- not too bad. In general I find the conferences worthwhile. The lectures are the least of it; the hard part to quantify is the spiritual uplift from spending a week in a basically rational environment. It's always a bit of a shock going 'back to the world'. That said, I have a decent income so the expense (while noticeable) isn't a crushing load on my budget.

One other factor to consider is that this is likely to be the last opportunity to hear Leonard Peikoff lecture. He's said that he plans to retire from philosophy after finishing his current book, and his lectures at this conference are drawn from the second half of it. So if you care about that sort of thing... well, there it is.

• 2 months later...

Santiago and I are going! We're going to the OBloggers lunch, OActivists happy hour and OEvolve dinner, and we're going to a shooting range while we're there (although we don't know where/when yet.) We'll also be taking the Lindy Hop lesson and going to the closing dinner/dance, as well as attending the complimentary events. I'd like to arrange a lunch or dinner for all of you we know online, like we did at Newport Beach a few years back. If anyone else is interested, let me know via email, PM or Facebook.

• 1 month later...