Objectivism Online Forum

Nathaniel Branden

Rate this topic

He's not "expelled" from Objectivism. Ayn Rand expelled him from her personal presence and refused to affiliate with him after she (I believe) found out he was using her. Both of the Brandens (Nathaniel and Barbara) have made a career since then of trying to smear Ayn Rand's character, so most of the reputable Objectivists (Peikoff, Schwartz, Bernstein, Binswanger, etc.) refuse to associate with him as well.

I can't imagine how you'd expel someone from an ideology short of brainwashing, and even that likely wouldn't work long-term.

I don't know all the details, nor do I consider them to be my business, although James S. Valiant got so annoyed with the business that he wrote The Passion of Ayn Rand's Critics to refute the Brandens' various claims. Read that if you're really interested.

Why are you sad about something that is good?

I think "excommunication" is more probably appropriate than "schism".

John Link

"Dissociation" I think is the better term. "Excommunication" implies some sort of organization he was a member of that he was kicked out of.

• 10 months later...

I'm reading "The Psychology of Self Esteem" by Branden right now. It was apparently written during the 60's when he still agreed with objectivism, and the book itself is consonant with objectivist philosophy. There is some really good content in there, although a lot of it will be just review for you if you are already well acquainted with objectivism.