Objectivism Online Forum

An Objectivist Hero In The Public Consciousness

Rate this topic

C-Wolf

Andrew Bernstein defines the essence of heroism as "an unbreached and unbreachable allegiance to the good in the face of any possible form of opposition." My question is, who is a hero (by Objectivist standards) that the average, educated American would know well? There are many candidates for a hero by Objectivist standards--Rand herself, Newton, Jefferson, Louis Sullivan, Edison, etc. However, the average person doesn't know who Sullivan is, or what opposition Rand faced, or of Jefferson's achievements other than the presidency, etc. In short, an altruist can point to Mother Theresa as a moral ideal, a communist can point to Che Guevera, and so on. So who can Objectivists point to? My answer is Socrates. He embodied rationality, honesty, integrity, courage, and independence. Furthermore, he was devoted to the good in the face of massive opposition. Certainly there is much for an Objectivist to dispute in what we know of Socrates' philosophical doctrine, but he fits the bill closer than any other figure I can think of. Are there other people I am overlooking?

If you go by that definition then I would say yes, most certainly.

Just one example...

YORK, ALVIN C.

Rank and organization: Corporal, U.S. Army, Company G, 328th Infantry, 82d Division. Place and date: Near Chatel-Chehery, France, 8 October 1918. Entered service at: Pall Mall, Tenn. Born: 13 December 1887, Fentress County, Tenn. G.O. No.: 59, W.D., 1919. Citation: After his platoon had suffered heavy casualties and 3 other noncommissioned officers had become casualties, Cpl. York assumed command. Fearlessly leading 7 men, he charged with great daring a machinegun nest which was pouring deadly and incessant fire upon his platoon. In this heroic feat the machinegun nest was taken, together with 4 officers and 128 men and several guns.

Andrew Bernstein defines the essence of heroism as "an unbreached and unbreachable allegiance to the good in the face of any possible form of opposition."  My question is, who is a hero (by Objectivist standards) that the average, educated American would know well?  There are many candidates for a hero by Objectivist standards--Rand herself, Newton, Jefferson, Louis Sullivan, Edison, etc.  However, the average person doesn't know who Sullivan is, or what opposition Rand faced, or of Jefferson's achievements other than the presidency, etc.  In short, an altruist can point to Mother Theresa as a moral ideal, a communist can point to Che Guevera, and so on.  So who can Objectivists point to?  My answer is Socrates.  He embodied rationality, honesty, integrity, courage, and independence.  Furthermore, he was devoted to the good in the face of massive opposition.  Certainly there is much for an Objectivist to dispute in what we know of Socrates' philosophical doctrine, but he fits the bill closer than any other figure I can think of.  Are there other people I am overlooking?

Steve Ditko is an excellent choice. He has never compromised. I have reason to believe that he is an Objectivist and has certainly been heavily influenced by Ayn Rand's writings.

BTW, he is an artist who created toons like Spiderman, Mr. A, Dr. Strange, etc.

Well, two points:

1) A hero doesn't have to be an Objectivist hero, to be heroic. Jefferson wasn't the former, but was the latter, for example. It's far too early to look for Objectivist heroes, but there have been plenty of heroes in man's history, and quite a few of them still linger in the public consciousness. So are you asking for these men? Or for those specifically from the Oist movement?