Objectivism Online Forum

Starcraft 2 Beta

Rate this topic

Everyone,

The Starcraft 2 is out and I am downloading the game! I'll let you all know how it is, and how I'm fairing against the dreaded Koreans.

Did Blizzard randomly choose you for testing or did you download it? I can't seem to find a beta download on the site.

I bought a Beta Key for $200 off of a Blizzcon 2009 attendee, otherwise they have an opt in lottery available at battle.net

As far as the game...the controls are like a breath of divine life into a player like me. If you played the original SC, you could only select up to 12 units at a time, and only one building at a time. Now, I can hotkey all my unit producing to structures to one button (!) and it queues up the units one by one. The automine feature also reduces actions necessary to win.

I won my first game against a Protoss opponent by doing a quick 4 gateway mass Stalker (this unit replaces the Dragoon) build. I'll be developing build orders and posting them here as I progress in my knowledge of the game.

Oh, and it looks so beautiful.

I am overjoyed.

I bought a Beta Key for $200 off of a Blizzcon 2009 attendee, otherwise they have an opt in lottery available at battle.net

As far as the game...the controls are like a breath of divine life into a player like me. If you played the original SC, you could only select up to 12 units at a time, and only one building at a time. Now, I can hotkey all my unit producing to structures to one button (!) and it queues up the units one by one. The automine feature also reduces actions necessary to win.

I won my first game against a Protoss opponent by doing a quick 4 gateway mass Stalker (this unit replaces the Dragoon) build. I'll be developing build orders and posting them here as I progress in my knowledge of the game.

Oh, and it looks so beautiful.

I am overjoyed.

That sounds really interesting. One feature I've always wanted: two players on same team. Okay, but I mean, as same color. So one guy just manages production, one guy manages units, or two guys (one protects range units, other positions them).

But the streamlining of the mundane production and selection commands would be really helpful and add to the experience by putting a lot more emphasis on preparation. Which, is what Starcraft is really all about.

I, for one, preferred Myth style action strategy where you can't build new units and its more of a dance than a flood in terms of fighting, but blizzard deserves commendation for production quality. Well, it has been over a decade..... But you have to admire the business model. It's gutsy to delay a game until it's perfect, because then it has to be perfect. It shows a superior ability to run a business.

I had a sociology professor who brought in an old fan from the 1930's that still functions great. His point was that things are made nowadays to break down quicker so companies can make more money. That's certainly true, but you can't blame them for selling to the more valuable niche. You can blame the consumers, who shouldn't buy crap for the sake of low price or trendiness when they can get a very reliable product for a little more. Anyway, Blizzard is a good company - and makes lots of money even though each WoW upgrade is very deliberate and there have only been 2 so far (as compared to the Sims 2 packs that have come out).

I just signed up for it.

This is why I like blizzard; many game companies just don't take the time to get things right and end up releasing unfinished games. I ended up not buying some games I was interested in for that reason.

But then the original starcraft, released in 1998, has more people playing it that some 6 month old games. So it works. Valve is very good with this too.

Edited by jmr

Yeah, I was already signed up for the beta draw, that's why I wondered how you got a key.

From what you're saying, it seems like they added the WC3 style gameplay to SC2, minus heroes. I can't wait to play, but that might be put on hold until I replace my geriatric 6 year old PC. Thankfully it runs WoW, but probably won't deal well with SC2 or Cataclysm.