Objectivism Online Forum

"Secularism" in India

Rate this topic

Rockefeller

In India, the word "secular" has been distorted to mean religious egalitarianism. In political context, courts and law use the word to mean equal government favors to all religious groups. Some examples I could find of government action taken in the name of "secularism":

1. Censorship of media that criticizes a religion. e.g. this and this. Also see this.

2. Granting special "rights" to religious groups. e.g. this, this and this (also see this).

3. Reservation of seats in jobs and educational institutes (public and sometimes even private). e.g. this and this

4. Nationalization of temples (you read it right!), government donations to religious leaders, and eminent domain for temples. e.g. this

5. Ban on practices that offend any religion, such as, ban on beef and slaughter of cows. e.g. this.

Note: I actually wrote above to post here, but soon realized that it's too detailed for that topic. So, I started a new thread.