Objectivism Online Forum

Examined Life

Rate this topic

This little gem is 90 minutes of the most broken, ignorant psychobabble I have ever witnessed. To be honest, I wasn't even able to finish the movie. I got about halfway through it and had to turn it off before I broke my hand on my monitor.

This film is about 'philosophy'. It is a camera crew following hack philosophers around while they muse about how bad it is to be human and do things human beings are supposed to do. I found it sickening. I had expected it to be in the tradition of Socrates in which he would walk around town asking people awkward questions and making them think about their lives.

One philosopher asserts that consumerism is wrong and there are "better things" people should be spending their money on (i.e. hungry children). He even uses the "kid drowning in a lake" scenario to show me why buying Prada shoes is wrong. Another claims that the world is messed up because we pay too much attention to the self and not "the other".

Anyone else seen this? bonus points if you made it all the way through the movie.

This little gem is 90 minutes of the most broken, ignorant psychobabble I have ever witnessed. To be honest, I wasn't even able to finish the movie. I got about halfway through it and had to turn it off before I broke my hand on my monitor.

This film is about 'philosophy'. It is a camera crew following hack philosophers around while they muse about how bad it is to be human and do things human beings are supposed to do. I found it sickening. I had expected it to be in the tradition of Socrates in which he would walk around town asking people awkward questions and making them think about their lives.

One philosopher asserts that consumerism is wrong and there are "better things" people should be spending their money on (i.e. hungry children). He even uses the "kid drowning in a lake" scenario to show me why buying Prada shoes is wrong. Another claims that the world is messed up because we pay too much attention to the self and not "the other".

Anyone else seen this? bonus points if you made it all the way through the movie.

I'll check it out and get back to you.. is it on Netflix?