Objectivism Online Forum

Equality

Rate this topic

Sidewinderpro2

I have attached the final draft of the editorial "Equality" for which I sought feedback in the metaphysics subforum in its earlier stages. I submitted it to a newspaper today and hopefully it will be printed in the near future. The document posted here is not to be redistributed (in any form) anywhere else without my permission. Equality.rtf

This is pretty good but is pretty lengthy for a newspaper. I would like to comment on one point. I did not like this phrase as it appears in your essay: "Those of value are sacrificed to those of little or no value."

The problem is that it does not specify "of value to whom"? Grammatically, the evaluation of value seems to be coming from an omniscient perspective. Readers who take seriously the omniscient perspective (the religious) will simply reject this assertion of what God really thinks. The sentence is also redundant to the immediately preceding sentence and only seems to exist for emphasis. It introduces the concept of value without explaining it. As remedy, it could simply be deleted without harm to the argument.

I think Adam Reed makes an excellent point in his blog post A Radical Strategy for Objectivists. From Adam Reed's followup post A practical guideline for Objectivist activism on political issues

Therefore the essential guideline for Objectivist political activism is to relate the target issue to living by the judgment of one's own mind.