Objectivism Online Forum

Canadian Oil Sands, Good or Evil ?

Rate this topic

I am a Canadian Engineering student completing a work term with one of the companies producing oil from the tar sands in Alberta. While my experience has been very positive, the demonization of this industry has become very apparent to me and its influence on the people of Canada. Instead of being a point of pride, the oil sands development seems to be a sort of burden that many Canadians wish would be wiped out in the name of protecting the environment.

These opinions are prominent outside of my country as well as referenced in the EU’s recent proposal towards to oils sands.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/03/24/eu-oilsands.html

While the proposal of adding penalties to Canadian oil were turned down as mentioned in the article above, the fact that these types of suggestions are being put forward is proof enough of the global opinion towards this industry.

My questions for the forum are as follows, what is the general opinion of Americans regarding this industry? And secondly, what is the opinion of objectivists?

Ignore the people that complain about the tar sands. They are the same ones praising the strength of the Canadian Dollar as it reaches par with the "Evil Greenback".

They've forgotten that their continued economic recovery is dependant on your continued exploitation of this natural resource. Exploit the earth, or Die!

• 5 months later...

You may be interested in Ezra Levant's new book: "Ethical Oil: The Case For Canada's Oilsands"

It debuted at #4 on the Amazon.ca nonfiction list. I will probably pick up a copy tomorrow, and maybe get it signed as well.

Edited to include link.

Edited by flatlander

• 11 months later...

I am a Canadian Engineering student completing a work term with one of the companies producing oil from the tar sands in Alberta. While my experience has been very positive, the demonization of this industry has become very apparent to me and its influence on the people of Canada. Instead of being a point of pride, the oil sands development seems to be a sort of burden that many Canadians wish would be wiped out in the name of protecting the environment.

These opinions are prominent outside of my country as well as referenced in the EU’s recent proposal towards to oils sands.

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/03/24/eu-oilsands.html

While the proposal of adding penalties to Canadian oil were turned down as mentioned in the article above, the fact that these types of suggestions are being put forward is proof enough of the global opinion towards this industry.

My questions for the forum are as follows, what is the general opinion of Americans regarding this industry? And secondly, what is the opinion of objectivists?

Hi Young Engineer,

I am an Albertan who has been fighting for freedom in Alberta for the last 20 years. I have given up and am now an Objectivist who sees the only solution is education of our youth in philosophic principles..I work where I think people still have some semblance of free speech.. not in Canada. I feel for you as you are up against not only the environmental religionists but the elite regime in Eastern Canada. Alberta has always been a slave to Eastern Canada. I would love to share all what I know about the truth of Canada with you. Your hair would stand up on end in shock! Canada is not a free country and never was having inherited the antiquated British Parliamentary system invented by Kings when there was not even a hint of the idea that man could control his own destiny. I have nephews in the oil industry who would empathise with you. I suggest you read and listen to Alex Epstein's material at his new website Center for Industrial Progress and his Facebook Page http://www.facebook.com/#!/thepursuitofenergy.

My best to you.