Objectivism Online Forum

Lou Dobbs interviews Yaron Brook

Rate this topic

Lou Dobbs showed what a nationalistic, regulation-happy buffoon he really is. You can hear the exasperation in Yaron's voice. It's like they were having two different conversations.

At 7:10

Dobbs (loudly): "What the hell are you calling free trade?"

Brook: (voice elevated): "Free trade is us buying stuff from whoever we want to buy from-"

Dobbs (interrupting): "No, that's just trade. That's just stupid. That's not free trade."

Brook: "Well I'm for trade-"

Dobbs: "Hell, I'm for trade!"

The interview continues in more or less the same vein for the next 5 minutes. Kudos to Yaron for getting his points across in defiance of Dobbs' histrionics.

Indeed, That leaves me curious as to what Lou Dobbs considers free trade.

He was suggesting that we're allowing Japan and China to export goods to the US, but they're not retuning the favor, which is why we have debt. That's nonsense, trade rules are for the most part the same for everyone, and the exceptions even out. The US gov.'s in debt because it keeps borrowing, and US citizen in general are in debt because the Fed keeps printing dollars for them to spend on imported goods (driving up growth through consumption).

He's a chauvinist, someone who looks to blame all problems on other groups instead of members of his own. He made his name going after immigrants in a manner that was becoming quite offensive, which I suspect is the main reason why CNN fired his ass. No surprise he's still holding on to the old "the Japanese are coming" idea from the '80s.