Objectivism Online Forum

Privacy and Chat

Rate this topic

Please respect privacy: To all those who use the forum's chat: please respect the slightly more private nature of the medium. The relative privacy of chat allows for more casual conversations. For instance, taking a long conversation from chat and posting it in a public place is inappropriate, even if the conversation is about some an innocent enough topic. If someone is discussing, say, the nature of Capitalism, in chat, they will usually be more casual than in a post. If they wanted to post their thoughts in public, they could do so... leave it up to them. Worse still would be if someone were to reveal something obviously personal that is then repeated. I cringe when I see people posting here with some long, verbatim chat-log off some other forum. Please respect any reasonable expectation of courtesy.

Do not assume privacy: On the other hand, anyone who tells anyone anything ought to realize that the other person may repeat it, and that they may be able to do very little about it. So, when posting to chat, please do not assume it is private. Most of the time, you really do not know much about the other folk there. If there is some information that would embarrass you, do not reveal it with an expectation of privacy. In fact, I would take this beyond chat: please do not assume that anything you do on the forum is private. When you use the forum, please assume that our site is going to be hacked tomorrow, and all our chat-logs, PM-logs, and email logs will be published on the internet.

If one wishes to have a private conversation, it is easy enough to register a couple of Google accounts (or some other IM accounts) and have a private conversation. [Though I would assume that anything I do on the internet via any service is not private.]

I reckon most people do realize all of the above. If so, just consider this to be a reminder.

Edited by softwareNerd

• 2 weeks later...
'Tis why I avoid chat rooms. Discussions always grate down into unnecessary drama.

You should really try out this forum´s chat room. It quite pleasant, leaving aside the occasional trolls (Who, BTW, are still funny in a way) xD

• 2 months later...