Objectivism Online Forum

Iron Man 2

Rate this topic

How has nobody mentioned this movie yet?

Pure fucking awesomeness. That is all.

1. There is already at least one thread on it

2. It isn't officially out until May 7th in America. Ruin it for me, and I will see to it everything you ever loved is destroyed.

2. It isn't officially out until May 7th in America. Ruin it for me, and I will see to it everything you ever loved is destroyed.

Hahahahaha! Wow, can't believe it came out in South Africa before the USA. Straaaange.

Tony Stark dies. But don't worry, turns out it was all just a dream of Gwyneth Paltrow's.

I've dreamed of Gwyneth before. Something to do with whipped cream and cherries. She had her hair like in Sky Captain.

Would you say it's necessary to see the first movie before the sequel?

I would say you've got 4 days before the movies comes out. Go rent the first one.

I think having seen the first one helps a lot. You get to know the characters etc.

I can't believe they revealed that Iron Man is Luke's father! OF ALL PEOPLE!!!

Edited by brian0918

If you know the basic Iron Man mythos, I'm sure you can appreciate Iron Man 2 without seeing it (despite the region Stark is concerned with has changed for purposes of relevancy.). Still, see Iron Man. It's a great film. You'll do yourself a favor by watching it anytime

It´s not absolutely necessary, but it´s advisable. Unless you already know more or less who Iron Man is from the comics

I know there are Iron Man comics. I don't think I've ever seen one (he said while looking for signs of fan-blood boiling... :thumbsup: )

Thanks anyway. I guess I'll rent the doubel header in ten months or so.

Its a shame that we have to turn to comic book fantasies to see industrialist heroes nowadays.

-edit: the fictional ones, anyway.

I turn to comic books for just about everything.

Just saw the midnight showing (eastern time). AWESOME. This is one of the few movies I have no philosophical objections to . (thats saying alot) This movie is the opposite of Avatar in philosophy.

Yes, the whole movie was just amazing. Very pro-capitalism, pro-technology, pro-individual. The song during the credits from what I assume was the Stark Expo '74 theme (not sure though) was wonderful, if anyone heard it. Just like the original Iron Man, a great superhero movie (though imo not quite as great as the first, it is still better than, say, the first Spiderman film, and nearly as good as Iron Man). Will definitely be seeing it again, probably this weekend.

Just saw it today. It was great!

If you haven't even seen the trailer, this might be a *little* bit of a spoiler ---

His appearance in congress was so AWESOME! I don't think I've ever seen such a great moment of selfishness in any movie since The Fountainhead.

Yes, the Congress scene is priceless (and the ending too!)

As fun as the Iron Man ride has been so far, I do't see how it can possibly last once they bring Thor into a picture. All suspension of disbelief goes right out the window. That is a very awkward idiom to use because movie theaters do not even have windows, but imagine the inside of a theater with a big jagged hole in wall. Broken concrete, exposed rebar and electrical wiring, daylight pouring in and blinding the audience. It is that impossible, Iron Man and Thor do not belong in the same universe.

This may be a bit of a spoiler;

but is there no case where a military violation of copyrights could be morally justified?

Lets say you have a local manufacturer that does not want to trade with the US Army, while the confiscation of his technology would severly reduce the losses of American lives?

I obviously realise that such a practice would damage the level of development in the long run (as people would have less incentive to produce) - but could it not be applied to lifeboat ethics?

It would seem somewhat rationalistic to NOT violate copyrights if it would increase the odds of winning an armed conflict drastically.

Lets say you have a local manufacturer that does not want to trade with the US Army, while the confiscation of his technology would severly reduce the losses of American lives?

I obviously realise that such a practice would damage the level of development in the long run (as people would have less incentive to produce) - but could it not be applied to lifeboat ethics?

It would seem somewhat rationalistic to NOT violate copyrights if it would increase the odds of winning an armed conflict drastically.

Saw it 2x and loved it.I loved the congress scene too.

Possible spoiler ahead:

In the part where Stark is talking to Samuel Jackson in the diner it would have been perfect, if when Stark said,"Ive tried every known permutation of every known element...", Jackson would have said,

" I'm hear to tell you,check your premises!"...