Objectivism Online Forum

The Red Sox, Curt Schilling, And God

Rate this topic

F23AC

I havent posted here in quite some time, and recent comments by Curt Schilling has motivated me to create this post. I have been following the Red Sox pretty closely in the post season. Being a huge met fan and a huge non-yankees fan, I was very happy to see the Sox win, and I am very happy to see them up 2-0 in the world series. They have shown tremendous resolve and heart, and I have a new found love and respect for the team.

The performance of Curt Schilling has been nothing short of remarkable. Due to his tendon being torn, or seperated, or something (not well-versed in medical issues) the doctors tried some very risky and unique procedure in which they sutured his tendon to his ankled. Bloody sock and all, Schilling came out to pitch, and in game 6 vs the yankees and game 2 tonight of the world series - he was outstanding. He has been a leader and hero to his team.

Apparantly Schilling is religious and believes strongly in God. After the game, they asked him how he has been able to perform at such a high level in spite of his condition. Apparantly he even thought he wouldnt be able to make it to pitch tonight. And it was then when he said that he had to "turn to the Lord" and get strength from him. Without the Lord's help, he said, he would not have been able to accomplish what he accomplished. Somehow, magically, everything just worked out on the field.

I wish Schilling hadn't made these comments. I found it somewhat degrading not only to him, but to man in general. I do not think that Schilling is any less a hero for the great things he has accomplished in the post season this year as an athlete and as a member of the Red Sox. But I think he's fooling himself. Everything he accomplished came from nowhere but the man himself - Mr. Schilling. It just pains me whenever an athlete in such a situation gives God all the credit.

As you see, this post may amount to nothing more than a rant. But alas, I'm sure the objectivists on this board understand. Schilling showed the greatness, not of God, but of man. He showed how great man can be, despite uncomfortable and dangerous conditions. It is this that I hope people see, and not the idea that God needs to intervene in order for greatness to take place.

Take care.

AC

It was disappointing, but they kept cutting to him in the dugout as he was praying in between his pitching half-innings, so it wasn't entirely unexpected.

I think it would have been funny if his doctor showed up and slapped him, because the procedure his doctor has to do before every Schilling start is entirely untried and is apparently very effective in the short term before they can do the reconstructive surgery. What an ingrate, passing off the credit to a magical invisible being instead of the very real heroes responsible for him being able to pitch.

That being said, GO RED SOX. I can't cheer for the Cardinals who helped eliminate my Chicago Cubs.

Its so common for professional athletes to attribute their succes to God or "their faith in the Lord" that it doesn't even phase me anymore. I'm a big St. Louis Ram fan and a few years back when their quarterback Kurt Warner (now with the Giants) was the back-to-back MVP and tearing up the league, all he ever said was how his love for Jesus and "the Lord" helped him accomplish everything. I loved his skills on the field but couldn't stand him during interviews. I would mute the TV.

I also think that many athletes overemphasize the religious thing in order not to appear "selfish" or proud which they feel would be considered conceited. Thus they deliberately humble themselves. The alternative (or false alternative actually) would be the Rap "artists" that constantly babble about how great they are. I feel athletes don't want to be considered the same way.

Lastly, I remember Dr. Peikoff stating on his radio show a few years back that he liked Muhamed Ali (and so did Rand I believe) because he was so proud and confindent in himself and was never self-effasing. He poudly stated that he was the best in the world which he backed up in the ring. I wish there were more personalities in the sports world like Ali. The current crop are all a bunch of boring Sunday School boys.

I have been following the Red Sox pretty closely in the post season.  Being a huge met fan and a huge non-yankees fan, I was very happy to see the Sox win, and I am very happy to see them up 2-0 in the world series.  They have shown tremendous resolve and heart, and I have a new found love and respect for the team. 

Bucky Dent. Bill Buckner. Aaron Boone.

Yankees rule. :lol:

I'm a Cardinals fan from the word go. Have been since I was a kid. The Cards weakness is their starting pitching, which is good, but not great. This is their achilles heel in this series. The Sox of superior pitching, and this is shutting the Cards big bats down.

I like the Red Sox, but they are my enemy for this series. ;)

Regarding Schilling, I heard him say a similar thing on a radio show after he beat the Yanks. He claimed it wasn't him, but somehow god was the force behind his win. I cringed. I also remember Kurt Warner doing the same thing after wnning the Super Bowl.

As contrast, Scott Rolen's favorite book is The Fountainhead. He's also one of the best offensive players in the game, and the best defensive third basemen in the game. I'm told that he was a frequent guest on a particular radio show. The show hosts said it was good luck when he was on the show, because the Cards would win, and so wanted him back on. Rolen replied that he didn't believe in luck, but that he would appear on the show anyway.