Objectivism Online Forum

This Server

Rate this topic

Pardon the inflammatory thread title and subtitle, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed that this site regularly goes down with database connection errors now. I'm sure the admin can see the error logs, but I'll say it here: The errors that the chat shows when trying to load it during this "down time" always has something to do with there being more database connections than the maximum allowed. This issue didn't start happening until the site got moved to the server it's currently on, and I know several other members are also frustrated over this regularly occurring erroneous downtime.

Yeah I am regulary annoyed by this. And I mean regulary, as it happens seemingly every day about the same times.

Looks to me as though the wrong decision was made as to where to rehost this this site...

Same here. Must be a problem with the chat.
Okay, that makes sense and it is good to know.

Forum users probably do not notice because the odd connection that experiences a wait is probably tried again, and they just see a delayed response. However, chat constantly checks for new messages every second or two, so they are more likely to get timed out.

Anyhow, hoping that is the issue, I've made a change to chat that should keep it a little more independent of the forum usage.

Dwayne, Amaroq... if the problem persists please update this thread.

I've never seen this problem in chat, actually. o.o Or anywhere, for that matter.

But I have a pretty regular time of going on chat. For example, I'm usually not on anywhere around 8 AM to 12 PM my time, and usually later. So I may be missing it.

yeah you are missing it Iudicious, I am in chat fairly frequently and I had been getting kicked due to timeouts fairly regularly, sometimes quite regularly on certain days and never had a problem before. However, I have not tried chat since Snerds change so I can't speak in that regard at the moment.

Dwayne, Amaroq... if the problem persists please update this thread.

Will do, but lets hope it is somewhat improved now. It is just a shame that the chat does not seem all that well coded, though if this issue was resolved somehow it would work fairly well for the most part anyway.

I always encountered the problem while chatting late at night (my time). The chat would appear to lose connection, and at first, reloading it simply caused it to try for a long time to load, with nothing actually happening. And then stopping and trying to reload it again would bring about those errors. At the same time, the forum would also go down with the Joomla logo saying that the site can't connect to the database. So the problem always happened to me while I was using the chat, but it affected both the chat and the forum. It would always be a half hour to an hour or so before the chat and forum would be back up again.

I'll be on the lookout as you asked, sNerd, and I'll update if I see the problem again.

Actually, now that I think about it, it does happen, but not so frequently that it's a nuisance (a simple reload of the page fixes the problem.) I think the problem may be more with the chat than the server, because I haven't run into any major crashes or anything.

Time permitting you might want to just hang out in the chatroom for a bit in the evening (when most people are on). As far as I am aware there is not a time correlation to this, and this is merely coincidental. I see people getting randomly kicked out/having problems throughout the day in the chartroom, anywhere from 12pm to 12am, which had also been my experience from time to time when I have had the problem. However for me its usually weeks before it happens again, it is much more frequent for others, sometimes on a daily basis at seemingly random times.

Edited by CapitalistSwine

I think people have always had problems with getting kicked randomly from the chat, even on the old server. The issue I've raised in this thread is the whole chat and website going down at the same time due to that database error. If people randomly lose the connection but others are able to stay in the chat, that's probably just that the chat sucks. xD

(23:49:51) ChatBot: knast[Away] has been logged out (Timeout).

(23:49:51) ChatBot: ttime[Away] has been logged out (Timeout).

(23:49:51) ChatBot: Q.E.D. has been logged out (Timeout).

(23:49:51) ChatBot: Mikee has been logged out (Timeout).

That happened at 11:50 PM, Eastern time (I'm in Florida.) I was also disconnected, but it doesn't show your own timeout.

Edit: I mention this because I've never seen that many people kicked all at once, and it seemed relevant to the server problems.

Edited by Iudicious

Turns out that a daily back-up is responsible for the daily freezing of the site. The company that hosts our website has said that this is something they introduced recently and they're still working on getting the backup to be less intrusive with the running web-sites. Stay tuned for more info.

Yeah I can confirm it happened at about 4:45 AM EDT and I wasn't using chat function.

Same here. I get something called an "IPS Driver Error" about that time. Must be the backups sNerd mentioned.

• 3 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.