Objectivism Online Forum

Alvin Greene

Rate this topic

If you have been paying attention to the news you may be familliar with the story of Alvin Greene. Greene won the South Carolina Senate nomination for the Democratic Party to run against incumbent Republican Jim Demint. Greene was able to make the $10,000 filing fee, but otherwise had no fundraising and had no campaign structure, no staff, no advertising. He is an unemployed 13-year veteran who has pending felony sex charges, which he refuses any comment on. His platform is "make gas prices go lower for working people," "unite Korea under democracy" (he served in Korea), and "there are too many prisons, not enough schools." When asked what his stance on free trade was, he said he would think about the issue and get back to the reporter on that.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/06/08/a...r_n_605365.html

Alvin Greene UPSET: Mystery Man Stuns In South Carolina Senate Primary

COLUMBIA, S.C. — An unemployed military veteran who raised no funds and put up no campaign website shocked South Carolina's Democratic Party leadership by capturing the nomination Tuesday to face Republican U.S. Sen. Jim DeMint in November.

With nearly all precincts reporting, Alvin Greene, 32, commanded 59 percent of the vote against 41 percent for former four-term state lawmaker Vic Rawl, 64, who had raised about $186,000 and had to abruptly scrap a late-week fundraiser for the fall.

State Democratic Party Chairwoman Carol Fowler said voters unfamiliar with either candidate may have voted alphabetically for Greene over Rawl.

"As far as I know, he never showed up at anything. Vic Rawl has been campaigning everywhere from the time he filed," she said.

The Democrats are alleging that he is a Republican plant, or there is some kind of vast right wing conspiracy.

Apparently there are some shenanigans going on with alleged more votes counted than cast, which is under investigation.

Might he be a plant of some kind? How can this man legitimately be elected?

The Democratic Party isn't very popular in SC, after all. Voter turn out was low. His opponent was a state senator, who maybe wasn't very popular. No polls were taken of this race, the media "expected" Rawls to win, gave very little attention. It's possible that Greene did spread word-of-mouth or people just voted for whoever and he happened to get more.

What makes this all the stranger is, the guy is extremely un-telegenic, uncharismatic, mentally retarded-sounding (I mean that literally, not as insult), uneducated, involuntarily discharged from the military, has criminal charges and a shady background, has no campaign, no website, and yet wins a nomination for a major party for US Senate. WTF is going on with this country?

Keith Olbermann interviews him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntlp4fTell4

A local station interviews him

Mark Levin interviews Mr. Greene.

http://www.therightscoop.com/another-train...ws-alvin-greene

It seems I was wrong about his educational background. Apparently he has a BA in political science from South Carolina, but still...

Well, from what I've seen he has achieved quite a bit.

From Rush Limbaugh's show Tuesday:

RUSH: Folks, I don't know how many times I've told you this, do not doubt me. From a June 11th Washington Post article: "The University of South Carolina confirms that Greene graduated in 2000 with a degree in political science. The Pentagon confirms that he served in the Army, and in the Army and Air Force national guards. Although Greene has not boasted of winning awards, the Pentagon says he was granted the Air Force Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and Korean Defense Service Medal." This guy has been active. Korean Defense Service Medal, the Washington Post, June 11th, confirms all of this.

Not too shabby.

Might he be a plant of some kind?

I know the Democrats have been making that accusation, but that just isn't logical.

1. DeMint is projected to win regardless of who won the Democrat primary.

2. This is a year when Republicans are the favorites.

Given those two factors, it isn't at all logical that the Republicans would resort to such measures when the election is basically a lock.

He isn't a plant. There is the possibility of voting machine malfunction, which I find hard to believe given the simplicity of the code behind voting machines.

Personally I think the issue has more to do with the stupidity of Democrat voters. They didn't like the mainstream guy so they decided to vote for the no-name guy instead, without bothering to do research...

Here's a theory: he's a plant by the Democrats. They know they were screwed, so they engineered a victory by an implausible candidate, and then they planted rumors that the guy's a Republican plot. Almost as good as the Democrat's really successful plant from Wasilla.

Wow, this guy worked in 'military intelligence'. I thought this was a joke at first but no this is for real. He has a degree in political science!? This has got to be a plant or a mistake of some description, otherwise this might indeed be a snapshot view of the kind of candidates America can expect in the future. Reminds me of that movie 'Idiocracy'.