Objectivism Online Forum

Objectivist Rides...

Rate this topic

f83d0905.jpg.orig.jpg

There is my jeep, winter driven, fun vehichle, chopped the top because the windows were broken off roading. Lockers front and rear, axles swaps, all work done by me.

My other vehicle is attached (if it works) it's a 1982 240d mercedes-benz 4-speed with well over 300k miles, runs great and I bought it for $300. I run it on waste vegetable oil, motor oil, diesel, biodiesel and pretty much anything else that can end up in the tank. It's the vehicle of choice for when the lights go out in NYC. Getting WVO for free makes fuel about 40 cents a gallon in the summer, and since I have to run lower ratios in the winter up around $1-1.50 depending on the weather forcast.

-Nate

post-745-1098936884_thumb.jpg

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK I haven't got any pictures. I drive a black 1990 Chevy Blazer (we call it the "Night Rider"). It's on the brink of hitting 180K miles and it's a beastly thing. It's got Chevy's great 4.3 liter engine so it's likely the engine will outlast the body. The body is rusting pretty badly underneath because I drove it in the ocean last summer. I think it's days are numbered.

I drive a 2003 Chevrolet Cavalier (the new model with 20 more HP), but it's not mine, it's my mom's! We just got it for a great deal about 6 months ago, under 14 grand Canadian because she payed all at once. Dealerships give great discounts when you do this as opposed to financing, I've found. I am thinking about buying a used compact-class pickup probably of the Asian variety. Does anybody know what brand is most reliable in their old age (1998 or older)?

1936960214.jpg

Not our car

My wife and I have a 1995 Subaru Legacy wagon with 170,000 miles on it. This car has been virtually bulletproof; it still has the orignal clutch and many other parts; the battery and exhaust only failed last last year.

We also have a 2003 Subaru Impreza WRX wagon. Very fun car to drive and also very practical:

car.jpg

Next will probably be a 2005 Subaru Legacy GT wagon.

I actually think that Hummer comment has some validity. It doesn't seem very rational to buy a vehicle that is not very practical for the average civilian's driving needs. A lot of people choose vehicles on the basis of how they think it will affect their image, which does seem intellectually dishonest.

Does anybody know what brand is most reliable in their old age (1998 or older)?

Probably Toyota; pick up Consumer Reports used car guide for more info.

Silver-blue 1982 Porsche 928, 5-speed manual B)

My other vehicle is attached (if it works) it's a 1982 240d mercedes-benz 4-speed with well over 300k miles, runs great and I bought it for $300.

I have an identical model, albeit with a mere 170,000 miles. Although, the 62 horsepower is a real drag on the turnpike :lol:

Silver-blue 1982 Porsche 928, 5-speed manual  B)

I have an identical model, albeit with a mere 170,000 miles.  Although, the 62 horsepower is a real drag on the turnpike  :lol:

Ah... another Porsche fan...

1982 Porsche 911 SC (hence the screen name)

2001 VW GTI 1.8T - chipped... ie. about 215HP/250ftlbs

I drive an '85 Mazda RX-7 with the 13B engine. I want to start doing quite a lot of modifications to make it quite a quick little thing starting next year. I won't list all those things in this thread because Stephen and I discussed this in detail in the... umm, 'Architecture as Art' thread. :lol:

Here it is: http://ranil.fotopic.net/p2844029.html

Also: Porsche 928: Very nice car.

I read somewhere like 85% of w123 mercedes-benz's are still on the road, that model was early to mid 80's. I personally know of over 1/2 dozen that have well over 300k miles. They are slow, but I give everyone a hard time cause I bought a mercedes benz when I was 20. I love the subaru's, nice pics.

-Nate

edit: here's a link to the first pic, because I suck at the internets

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid1...05.jpg.orig.jpg

CannonBall, your pics look fine to me.

I wouldn't mind having a big old diesel MB wagon for long family trips. I know the hp is an issue, but those things have loads of torque which in some ways is more useful. Some of the new MB diesels are actually faster 0-60 than the equivalent gas model.

CannonBall, your pics look fine to me.

I wouldn't mind having a big old diesel MB wagon for long family trips. I know the hp is an issue, but those things have loads of torque which in some ways is more useful. Some of the new MB diesels are actually faster 0-60 than the equivalent gas model.

The new E320d gets 37+ mpg does 0-60 in 6.3 seconds and is quiter than the gas model. MB has once again outdone themselves.

I'm into classic cars myself. Below is a picture of my '65 GTO. Actually, it's not mine anymore as of a year ago...still regretting that sale... I've got 3 other classics which I hardly have time to drive. $2.30 per gallon of gas doesn't make it quite as attractive anyway (especially at 10 mpg's).

My "real" car is a 1994 Maxima that is hardly picture-worthy and actually does not run as well as any of the classics, ironically. It's still getting me from A to B so I'm not complaining.

I had a motorcycle for a while but sold that too. When I first started riding a motorcycle, it was very exhilerating and my awareness of the risks wass minimal. As time went on, I became more aware of how dangerous it was, yet at the same time the level of exhileration went down. Basically, the ratio of enjoyment to risk awareness went down exponentially and the motorcycle went up for sale on Ebay.

post-796-1098992570_thumb.jpg

I drive an '89 BMW 325ic.  The convertible.  It was a steal too: one owner, 86k original miles, bought and serviced at the local dealership until it was sold to me, and cheap, to boot.

You've got great taste Walsh. I drive an 88 BMW 325is, beige, 5 speed. What a car. Two owner, dealer serviced for 11 years, very well maintained and taken care of.

For the interested: inline six cylinder, locking differential, power sunroof, 4 wheel discs with ABS, leather interior, ~2800lbs. :angry:

My old room mate owned a 325ic, and he said the roof leaked all the time, and it's basically impossible to fix (I've read the same on a BMW message board too). How's your top?

I drive a 1999 Honda Civic Hatchback named "Lindy." She is very practical, reliable, cheap to run, and surprisingly comfortable and roomy inside.

In this item from my CyberNet -- "You'll know Objectivism is winning when the parking lot looks like THIS ..." (click here) -- my Lindy is the one on the bottom right.

I drive a 04 Honda Odyssey (surprisingly powerful and smooth for a family-hauler) and a 97 Toyota Camry (to park at the train station daily). From '94 to '02, I drove a 94 Acura Integra GSR. It was a fantastic machine, light, maneuverable, fast, and had an engine that revved to 8000 RPM. And it was extremely sound mechanically, and highly engineered, in a way that inspired reverence for good mechanical engineers and the future of humanity in general.

And it was extremely sound mechanically, and highly engineered, in a way that inspired  reverence for good mechanical engineers and the future of humanity in general.

Honda makes excellent vehicles. I feel the same way about Subaru; they are a very engineering-oriented company.