Objectivism Online Forum

Objectivist Rides...

Rate this topic

As for Volvos, yes they are very safe but so are Subarus. I think Subarus are a better value for money.

I do not know if Subaru's a better value for money, but I am prepared to take your word for it. I have owned the XC from new (2001) and I am not nearly as impressed as I expected to be?! I tend to buy new and keep long, so the Volvo might grow on me.

Unlike all the beamer drivers, I was looking primarily for a lot of space behind the back seats for my dogs! SUVs just don't cut it in this regard (nor in many other regards either) and the ideal option re the dogs (i.e. a pick-up truck with a rear cab) just didn't cut it for my business. The V70XC has a lot of room in the back.

In retrospect though I should have bought the VX Passat Wagon. I have really liked any VW I have ever driven.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmm ... that is strange

I looked at the Passat wagon before buying the WRX. VWs are well-designed cars but have some reliability problems (check out Consumer Reports).

I suggest you check out the new (05) Legacy and Outback wagons, especially the Legacy GT and Outback XT, which have 250-hp turbo engines. I think they are as nice if not nicer than the XC70, and for less money.

I drive a 1999 Pontiac Firebird Formula, which is not exactly stock anymore. Here's my signature from www.ls1tech.com:

99 Black Formula M6 w/Pacesetter LT's, 2.5" True duals over the axle w/flo-pro twisters, LS6 Intake, !AC, !EGR, !AIR, Home-ported TB, BMR LCA's, K&N FIPK, Nitto DR's.

Also, I'm going to put on an underdrive pulley on tuesday.

Last time I ran at the track it went 13.282 @ 106.8 mph with a slipping clutch and 80 degree temperatures. With my new mods, it should run high 12's.

That probably means nothing to most of you, so let me just say that I'm driving the quickest thing here, at least until Stephen gets his new 'vette :) . And by then, I should have even more modifications. ;)

Oh man, if any of you saw what I drive, you would probably die laughing (or just be horrified). My car is over a decade and a half old (but not in a "classic" kind of way) and I only paid $200 bucks for it, but that's just because I needed something cheap quick at the time...and amazingly, it's still running a year and a half later. For the time being, I really only need something to get me to the light rail station and back anyway. (Well, and to my girlfriend's house, but I could walk that if I had to.)

That probably means nothing to most of you, so let me just say that I'm driving the quickest thing here, at least until Stephen gets his new 'vette  :yarr: . And by then, I should have even more modifications.  B)

Hmm. How much was that Twin Screw Supercharger for the c6? :D Actually, I would have waited for the 500 hp z06 but they still refuse to make that as a convertible.

p.s. Sounds like a nice car you have. I loved my '98 Trans-Am convertible. Any pictures?

Hmm. How much was that Twin Screw Supercharger for the c6?  :D Actually, I would have waited for the 500 hp z06 but they still refuse to make that as a convertible.

p.s. Sounds like a nice car you have. I loved my '98 Trans-Am convertible. Any pictures?

Yeah, I think that it is a weight/structural issue with the z06. Of course, with a twin-screw supercharger, you'll make up for it I'm sure! :P

I have pictures, but no means to get them into the computer just now. Maybe I can borrow a digital camera sometime when it's sunny. Of course at this moment my car is filthy, so no rush! :D

I'm thinking of getting it dyno tested soon, I'll post the results, if anyone is curious.

P.S. You had a '98 Trans-Am? Cool! I hope to own a 'vette myself someday. Of course, by then I suppose my 'Bird will be so much of a beast, I'll have to keep it. I'm thinking I might need a 4+ car garage... :D

I finally finished my installs, so the pulley is on and the A/C is out. I'm looking to dyno this Saturday.

Stephen,

I notice that most people who sell their LS1 are either doing it to get a 'vette or because of unfortunate circumstances (financial, etc). Almost nobody says "I don't like this car" :)

Hmm. How much was that Twin Screw Supercharger for the c6?  :D Actually, I would have waited for the 500 hp z06 but they still refuse to make that as a convertible.

You like the convert that much to pass up on the z06 option? You have spectacular taste in cars. A good friend of mine made money in real estate and bought a millennium yellow z06 at 23 years old (I’m jealous I must admit, driving a $300 Mercedes diesel that does 0-60 in about 30 seconds) he let me drive it once and I will tell you that it is painfully fast, and the handling is borderline uncomfortable, 0-60 in 3.9 ¼ in low 12’s and 1g on the skid (405hp version), it is amazing what Chevy can do with a pushrod v-8. My dream is a late 60’s MOPAR with a EFI v-8 running in the 11’s, getting decent (15-20mpg) mileage and able to hold it’s own on a track, I think I can build one, I have the suspension figured out and have most of it built in CAD, I'll need to figure out the weight bias once I set the engine back to get the right spring rates, but I'm confident I can hook up on a track and still keep a solid axle planted to the ground around turns. My other 4x4 dream is a Mercedes diesel unimog.

-Nate

Those are some pretty cool dreams, Cannonball. With engine technology being where it is, I'm sure you can toss that Mopar into the 10's and still be streetable!

Keep striving!

I remember about 8 years ago I was at a car show and someone had a 68 camaro with a fuelie 350 he said he got over 20mpg and that it tore up the track. I know cars are doing things like that today, just look at the z06. Proper weight loss and balancing are going to be key. I'm going to have to ditch a lot of unnecessary metal and replace necessary metal (fenders, hood, bumpers) with fiberglass. Obviously I’d ditch the d60 that comes in most old mopars for a 9” for weight, and basically a well setup suspension with the right tires on a car that isn’t a pig should be able to do it. I’d sacrifice speed for efficiency, that is, I’ll take 12’s in order to maintain a daily street drivable car. The rear suspension is going to be a 5 link with coil overs, unless I can find a way to make leafs perform as good as link suspension, but I doubt it. I think my best bet would be a cuda/challenger or a duster. The Road Runner, GTX, Charger chassis might just be too big.

-Nate

hehe ... I have two rides. :D

My first is a tan-color sassy mare. She's got 4-hoof drive and can go nearly anywhere I point her. Only problem is persuading her to go sometimes ... maybe a stubborn horse is the real reason why man invented car. ;)

My second has an awesome paint job. He's an Appaloosa, so he's very spotty and unique. He stands out everywhere - high-milage horse and smart enough to figure out anything. :)

Any other equestrian Oists here?

I am very happily driving our new VW Passat wagon. It's cute, safe, sporty, and suits my needs (hauling around two small kids, shopping, etc.). We really wanted a Volvo XC or an Audi wagon, but the Passat was easily $10K less than either of those options and frankly, I think I am enjoying it just as much. Jason is less happily driving my old '97 Blazer until we can afford to get him something a bit more fun.

Nate,

Probably the most important rule of hot rod ownership is to have a clear goal in mind before you start. Sounds like you already know that! I guess the next question is: what are you thinking in terms of engines? That's going to have a large effect on how fast you can go and stay streetable.

All:

Well I got the dyno on saturday, and although I was hoping for more, I still got some pretty good numbers:

1st pull: 342.5 HP; 348.8 TQ

2nd pull: 342.4 HP; 351.8 TQ

That's with an internally stock engine. I'm hoping to correct that status this spring... :blink:

My ride is a 2003 Saab 9-5. My dealership is just down the hill from me.

We've had Saabs since 1995. They are sturdy, well-constructed cars that handle like sporty cars and are steady on the highways at high speeds.

Althogh my 9-5 is the base Linear, it's quite fast to 60 (7.2 seconds). The FWD setup still allows it to go in snow and ice. My car is quite comfortable and roomy, and serves me quite well as an executive company car.

Oh, I almost forgot: for those who don't know, those were horsepower at the rear wheels. Manufacturers measure HP at the flywheel; the drivetrain generally costs about 15% on a manual transmission car.

So compared to what most of you know, the measure is 402.94 and 402.82.

It's more than a year 2001 Z06 but less than a 2002+. Not bad for a couple hundred dollars in modifications. ;)

But I am far from finished.

Oh, I almost forgot: for those who don't know, those were horsepower at the rear wheels. Manufacturers measure HP at the flywheel; the drivetrain generally costs about 15% on a manual transmission car.

So compared to what most of you know, the measure is 402.94 and 402.82.

Nice figures, but that is greater than a 15% increase.

It's more than a year 2001 Z06 but less than a 2002+. Not bad for a couple hundred dollars in modifications.  ;)
Don't forget the relative power/weight ratios. And, I think the Z06 came with a few more things than the Firebird, other than the horsepower. :D

But, yes, that is a nice increase in power. There is a great deal that can be done with a minimum of cost. Some of the best examples of that are the old "sleepers" that have enormous horsepower stuffed inside the sheep's clothing.

But I am far from finished.

Have fun. (And, try to stay on the road! :D )

Nice figures, but that is greater than a 15% increase.

Er? 402.94*.85=342.499 402.82*.85=342.397 :lol: Not sure what I'm doing wrong...

Don't forget the relative power/weight ratios. And, I think the Z06 came with a few more things than the Firebird, other than the horsepower.  :D 

LOL, yes indeedy. I was talking simply in terms of power. Of course, the lighter and better geared Z06 would be a quicker car. In addition to being sweeeeet. (That's factory option "S" :lol: )

342.5 x 1.15 = 393.875

It depends on what the percentage is relative to. If you mean a 15% increase over the original, then 342 x 1.15 = 393.875. If you mean a 15% decrease from an original, then 402.94 x .85 = 342.499.

I was doing a 15% decrease from the original, which is the most common method used. Thanks for being vigilant, though.

Another Honda fan here.

Here's my lovely "Pipsqueak", a 1988 CRX, repainted last year in color-shifting paint...

crx_rt.jpg

I think it's the perfect Objectivist ride. I sacrifice nothing! It looks great, it's reliable, still gets about 40 MPG, lots of cargo space (I can put a 21 inch monitor box in the hatch and close it), plus I got a Japanese-market back seat for it 2 years ago so I can transport my husband and son now if need be.

Speaking of cars ... Today I saw an absolutely great commercial for the new Ford Mustang. It was an interesting combination of two films, Field of Dreams and Bullit.

A man in a cornfield ... The whispered words "If you build it, he will come" ... Images of the man paving a track winding through the cornfield ... The man goes to his barn and out comes the new Mustang ... An image of another man walking down the track, coming directly to the Mustang ... A closeup - it is Steve McQueen! ... The man throws the Mustang keys to Steve McQueen ... McQueen makes the engine roar and takes off, driving all around the paved track in the cornfield.

McQueen was a fabled driver, and the extended driving scene with his 1968 Mustang in the movie Bullit is, arguably, among the greatest car chases in a movie, if not the greatest. It was a brilliant idea to resurrect the long-dead Steve McQueen to again ride a Mustang, and combining it with the "If you build it, he will come" of Field of Dreams helped to make the fantasy seem true. Great commercial!

Speaking of cars ... Today I saw an absolutely great commercial for the new Ford Mustang. It was an interesting combination of two films, Field of Dreams and Bullit.

McQueen was a fabled driver, and the extended driving scene with his 1968 Mustang in the movie Bullit is, arguably, among the greatest car chases in a movie, if not the greatest. It was a brilliant idea to resurrect the long-dead Steve McQueen to again ride a Mustang, and combining it with the "If you build it, he will come" of Field of Dreams helped to make the fantasy seem true. Great commercial!

I've heard that the part of that chase where the mustang spins out in the dirt causing the motorcyclist to bail was an unintentional mistake and after that they pulled McQueen from the stunt driving for the rest of the chase. I've always dreamed of having a 68 charger and a good friend of mine from high school has a "british racing green" 2+2 mustang not 68...in high school we'd talk about reenacting the chase. It usually ended with us arguing over which car was better and which one would have to crash into the gas station and explode. I'm not a real big ford fan, but I really did like that commercial, the newer bullit mustangs are pretty sweet too.

-Nate

• 8 months later...

I noticed this thread from a while back and I thought I might revive it.

In February we got a 2005 Honda Accord Hybrid. This car is a nice blend between performance and fuel economy, either available when the need arises. While they are somewhat expensive, they are fully loaded and it's a keeper. We basically have to keep the car for 4-5 years (depending on mileage) to recoup the extra cost over a regular Accord EX. This is not a problem as we both love the car! It gets around 27-29 MPG city, 35-37 MPT highway. When my wife had to drove a 500 mile round trip to pick up my son from a camp, she got 43 MPG! My wife drove this car primarily while I drove a 2003 Ford Mustang.

Because of rising fuel costs, which it seems will be continuing for some time, we decided to trade in my Ford Mustang ( I was getting 18/19 MPG) and get 2 vehicles for essentially the same monthly payment, although extended back out to 5 years again.

The first was a 2005 Honda Civic LX, which my wife now drives because of the type of city driving she does. I took over driving the Hybrid as it performs better with my highway driving. The Civic is rated at 32/38 MPG, but we haven't had it long enough to get a good mileage test.

The second vehicle is a 2005 Honda Shadow Aero (750 cc motorcycle). I have wanted to ride again for sometime now, and like the cruiser style of the Shadow. At around 50 MPG, it also fits the fuel economy criteria we wanted.

You may notice we like Honda vehicles. :D

Has anyone else out there made a similar move, or switched vehicles for other reasons?