Objectivism Online Forum

Infantalizing journalism

Rate this topic

I find it very troubling to see the conscending tone of many news outlets' supposed works of journalism.

Of late I've been seeing constant references to using "The N-word" and other similar stylistic choices for other unpleasant words.

Either say the actual word or at least say "used a racial pejorative" anything but "the N-word" "the F-bomb" or any such nonsense.

Why are legitimate media outlets acting as though the news is by and for elementary school students?

Am I making too much of this?

Edited for .......typos

Edited by QuoVadis

Am I making to much of this?
No, I find it striking how the rhetorical standards of broadcast journalism have taken such a precipitous nose-dive over the past 10-15 years. It used to be that reporters at least knew what words meant and would use professionally-appropriate diction. I have been seriously contemplating keeping a record of the verbal stupidity that is transmitted on the nightly news.

I have been seriously contemplating keeping a record of the verbal stupidity that is transmitted on the nightly news.

If you choose to self publish I would purchase such a tome.

Myself, I've been keeping a log of the stupidities on amateur restaurant review sites.

Amongst my favourites:

"The food was AWFUL and the portions were too small"

"The kimchi didn't taste fresh" (for those not in the know kimchi is aged fermented cabbage served as a condiment/side dish in Korea)

(of a local steakhouse) "as a vegan I felt uncomfortable and their (sic) weren't many choices for me"

"WORST SEVICE EVER!!!!!!!!! The bartender was a total bitch, she cut me off after 3 drinks.. plus the place is totally unsafe-I tripped and fell on my way out"

Edited by QuoVadis

If you choose to self publish I would purchase such a tome.

Myself, I've been keeping a log of the stupidities on amateur restaurant review sites.

Amongst my favourites:

"The food was AWFUL and the portions were too small"

"The kimchi didn't taste fresh" (for those not in the know kimchi is aged fermented cabbage served as a condiment/side dish in Korea)

(of a local steakhouse) "as a vegan I felt uncomfortable and their (sic) weren't many choices for me"

"WORST SEVICE EVER!!!!!!!!! The bartender was a total bitch, she cut me off after 3 drinks.. plus the place is totally unsafe-I tripped and fell on my way out"

Did you read someone complaining about the sushi not being cooked enough?

Did you read someone complaining about the sushi not being cooked enough?

Actually I have. About my own place and others (interesting thing is I don't serve sushi)

I've also started getting negative reviews based on my being an Objectivist.

Or as it has been stated "some Nazi Ayn Rand worshipping freak". <_<

Actually I have. About my own place and others (interesting thing is I don't serve sushi)

I've also started getting negative reviews based on my being an Objectivist.

Or as it has been stated "some Nazi Ayn Rand worshipping freak". <_<

I could understand some sushi not being cooked enough. If the statement were issued in reference to sushami, an eyebrow would definately need to be raised. (Sushi means 'with rice' where Sushami is the raw fish).

I could understand some sushi not being cooked enough. If the statement were issued in reference to sushami, an eyebrow would definately need to be raised. (Sushi means 'with rice' where Sushami is the raw fish).

That would be sashimi.

Sushi actually doesn't mean "with rice". The root "su" means vinegar. Hence sushi=vinegar rice sunomono "vinegared things" (pickles) nomi-su "drinking vinegar.

That would be sashimi.

Sushi actually doesn't mean "with rice". The root "su" means vinegar. Hence sushi=vinegar rice sunomono "vinegared things" (pickles) nomi-su "drinking vinegar.

Thanks. I should have at least looked up how to spell sashimi. It appears I have been misinformed about sushi etymology.

Edited by dream_weaver

Thanks. I should have at least looked up how to spell sashimi. It appears I have been misinformed about sushi etymology.

No worries... I own an izakaya (Japanese bar) so I am perhaps overly familiar. :ninja:

You weren't incorrect from a "common usage" standpoint. At many sushi bars people unfamiliar will often be told "sushi means rolled with rice or on top of rice, sashimi means no rice".