Objectivism Online Forum

Question On Prisons And Asylums

Rate this topic

Inquisitor80

I was discussing this in a thread on another board but a few of my questions went unaddressed. So i figured that i should try here and see what you all have to say...

In a pure L-F society what would we do with the persons that the courts judged guilty of crimes bad enough to require a punishment beyond fines but lesser than to require execution? The current answer is prison. I am wondering a few things about this solution.

First who runs it? Is it private or is it under the courts? Who pays for it?

Also I have seen the joke that some prisons are and the over the top security that others are. This leads me to believe that this system is fatally flawed. But is there a replacement?

In a pure L-F society what would be done about the criminally insane?

I am talking about those that are so bonkers that they must be wired wrong or something, that may or may not be dangerous. (but do we want to take the chance?)

If we put them in a something, who pays for it? Can we execute people who are obviously broken? If we leave them be, who is responsible when they go ape-s*** and kill 25 people with a weedwacker.

I have more questions but this is a good start

I was discussing this in a thread on another board but a few of my questions went unaddressed.  So i figured that i should try here and see what you all have to say...

In a pure L-F society what would we do with the persons that the courts judged guilty of crimes bad enough to require a punishment beyond fines but lesser than to require execution?  The current answer is prison.  I am wondering a few things about this solution.

First who runs it?  Is it private or is it under the courts?  Who pays for it?

Also I have seen the joke that some prisons are and the over the top security that others are.  This leads me to believe that this system is fatally flawed.  But is there a replacement?

In a pure L-F society what would be done about the criminally insane?

I am talking about those that are so bonkers that they must be wired wrong or something, that may or may not be dangerous. (but do we want to take the chance?)

If we put them in a something, who pays for it?  Can we execute people who are obviously broken?  If we leave them be, who is responsible when they go ape-s*** and kill 25 people with a weedwacker.

I have more questions but this is a good start

I think that criminals should make their own food and maintain their own existence in the prison itself, and if they choose not to...let them starve, its their choice. And also, use their own private property(that they have in the "outside world") to pay for everything they will use to produce for themselves for as long as they live there.

Or why not exile them, send them to antartica or a desert.

Anyways, im not that a pure L-F society would neceserally need a massive prison system becuase it is the welfafe system itself that seems to sustain most criminals to start with....so eliminate welfare and you eliminate most(at least) criminals.

If you kill, then you should either get death and if the guilty party is within a reasonable doubt then give him/them life in prison, which means everything i said above applies.

If you commited a violent crime like rape or beat up somebody, then the time you spend in prison should depend on your past history as a criminal and depend on how bad the crime was.

If you commit fraud or steal you should pay the person you stole from and pay for the time you spent in the prison and work to pay for the cost of the time you spent in prison even after you get out.

Also, does anybody have an opinion on the "three strike and your out laws" in california. I think that criminals should be judged on their whole criminal record not just three strikes. If you can prove that a person is not capable of living in a civilized society put him in jail and throw away the keys nomatter hwo small or big the crime is.

I think that criminals should make their own food  and maintain their own existence in the prison itself

Perhaps not make their own food, but I agree that they should definitely be made to pay the costs of their imprisonment. Just like there is no free lunch outside prison, there should be none inside it--lest the criminal justice system become a kind of welfare program, where you become eligible by committing crimes!