Objectivism Online Forum

Teenage Objectivists

Rate this topic

TheDudeWow

I've been lurking on the forums for a while now and wanted to actually meet some people here (besides Eiuol). I figured the best place to start would be people my age So, how many Objectivists out there are teenagers?

I can't believe that the Canadian public school system would ever use a book like Anthem as a part of their curriculum, knowing the philosophy the book represents.

I read The Fountainhead in the begging of the 12th grade (this year), and had to put up with several of my teachers seeing me reading it and commenting about how Ayn Rand was a fascist.

Nineteen. I first read Atlas Shrugged a few months ago. I'd heard of it before but didn't know who wrote it, what it was about, or how long it was. I actually thought it was non-fiction at first, because my Philosophy professor in a concurrent enrollment class told us about Rand's belief that capitalism was the only moral economic system on Earth. He told us about the essay contest and said it, Objectivism, was an interesting idea and to check into it. Been hooked ever since. :P

I read The Fountainhead in the begging of the 12th grade (this year), and had to put up with several of my teachers seeing me reading it and commenting about how Ayn Rand was a fascist.

Sorry to intrude, I'm not a teenager by any stretch, but this comment stood out to me. A few years after I graduated HS I went back to my school to visit a few teachers and ran into my former American history teacher in the hall. He saw that I was carrying one of her books and said "Ayn Rand? You're actually reading that fascist bitch?"

I replied, "Fascist? Not sure I see how she's a fascist. What did you read of hers that seemed fascist?"

He grumbled,"I think I read part of anthem once."

Stuck out in my mind. Must be a public school teacher thing.

"Fascist? Not sure I see how she's a fascist. What did you read of hers that seemed fascist?"

It's times like these that it pays to have Dagny's words memorised:

"It is not advisable, ____, to venture unsolicited opinions. You should spare yourself the embarrassing discovery of their exact value to your listener."

At my high school, Anthem was part of the 10th grade honors track, The Fountainhead in the 11th grade honors track. Everyone had to enter the essay contests. AS was not required reading but the teachers gave free copies to anyone willing to read it.

Edited by HansH

At my high school, Anthem was part of the 10th grade honors track, The Fountainhead in the 11th grade honors track. Everyone had to enter the essay contests. AS was not required reading but the teachers gave free copies to anyone willing to read it.

That is really encouraging news concerning the efforts of the ARI and their free books program.