Objectivism Online Forum

Salt

Rate this topic

Just saw the movie Salt, and highly recommend it. For an action flick, it never loses its tension. I was on the edge of my seat throughout. And Angelina Jolie is superb. After seeing her in this, I can actually see her as Dagny - attractive, but not too sexy. Tough but with a great vulnerability showing through.

Just saw the movie Salt, and highly recommend it. For an action flick, it never loses its tension. I was on the edge of my seat throughout. And Angelina Jolie is superb. After seeing her in this, I can actually see her as Dagny - attractive, but not too sexy. Tough but with a great vulnerability showing through.

I just saw this yesterday. The action scenes were good, but the plot had so many holes it made the movie almost unwatchable.

SPOILERS - scroll down...

To begin with, the Russian uberspy kills two agents, then is able to just waltz out of the building unobstructed. Moments later, Salt has to fight her way out in an unnecessary 20 minute action sequence. Why do they put so much energy into catching one of their own agents, who at that point is merely suspected of being a double agent, but not into catching a confirmed Russian uberspy who has just killed two CIA agents. No way he should have gotten out of that building. And even when he does, he is able to just disappear, while Jolie has to fight and run through the whole movie. We're supposed to believe some old man is better than Salt at being able to disappear?

Later, when they are in the bunker and the president assumes control of the nuclear football, one double agent is able to take out the entire room and assume control of the bomb? Please. Why are there are no secret service in that room? I doubt that room is so small in real life. If that situation were to occur for real, there would probably be 100 people down there, including all kinds of secret service trained to instantly kill anyone who should appear to be a threat. Liev Schriber's character never would have gotten a hand on a gun, and even if he did, he'd be dead by the time he got off the first shot.

Those are just the major unbelievable scenes. The scene to scene action was also pretty unreal - along the lines of the stuff going on in the A-Team. And while I thought such action worked in the A-Team because that movie was supposed to be tongue in cheek and a little campy, Salt was supposed to be a Bond style action thriller, and it just comes off as a farce.

You're right Radgnar. But I don't watch an action movie for its total accuracy. I know it'll be far out, like the whole Bourne series. I thought Salt was wonderfully suspenseful and had good twists. Jolie was excellent. And I've read about the concept of Russian-trained littl kids who grow up in totally American environments, so I think there's probably some truth there. Anyway, I loved the excitement. The movie is fun, and I can get into that.

And if you want friggin' accuracy: this is the only action movie I've ever seen where the heroine takes off her high heels when she runs!! Most directors think running (or walking) in five-inch stilletoes is easy. Just try it!!

This is a good movie. The audience doesn't get any explanation for what Salt (Jolie) is doing once she goes into action, you just have to follow along and see for yourself.

re Ragnar's criticisms: The movie is about Salt, the camera follows Salt. In fact, I only came to see the movie because of Salt (well, Jolie really). If the movie had given equal time to Salt and the old russian spy that would be bad directing. Liev Schriber's character was one of the security guys, he was supposed to have a gun and be trustworthy. Of course he was able to attain surprise. The action I found most difficult to believe was Salt taking punches to face and still functioning, as if she was a professional boxer or something. The North Korean captivity sequence established her ability to resist punishment intended to break her will, not her ability to shrug off punishment as if it wasn't harmful.

• 6 years later...
On 25/7/2010 at 5:49 PM, claire said:

Great movie! Definitely one of the best for Angelina Jolie. Not only the action but also the tension of what would happen next was what I liked the most because they might've given some clues, but at the same time if one wasn't paying attention you could miss them. A must watch movie!