Objectivism Online Forum

2011 Jeep Commercials

Rate this topic

Now that's a good commercial. I love Jeep. I have a 1983 Jeep CJ-7. I've had a '73 CJ-5 and a '93 Wrangler in the past. My son drives a '96 Grand Cherokee, and my wife's cousin has put almost 300,000 miles on her Cherokee Sport. Jeep is the quintessential American automotive icon, along with Mustang and Corvette.

Edited by Maximus

Now that's a good commercial. I love Jeep. I have a 1983 Jeep CJ-7. I've had a '73 CJ-5 and a '93 Wrangler in the past. My son drives a '96 Grand Cherokee, and my wife's cousin has put almost 300,000 miles on her Cherokee Sport. Jeep is the quintessential American automotive icon, along with Mustang and Corvette.

God help me, maybe I'm a jerk... but when I think of a CAR, an American CAR.... I think of the old Barracudas. But then I grew up in a family of old school biker/cops.

Let's not forget that the Chrysler, which owns Jeep, has been perpetually going bankrupt and bailed out by the taxpayers since the 1980's. If it did not steal uncounted billions from you, it would have died long ago. It's very much an "un-American" organization - I hesitate to call it a business.

If recollection serves correctly, the taxpayer underwritten loan in the 1980's was repaid.

Even so, the productive people of America still paid on the interest for that loan. The government made sure Chrysler would survive by buying thousands of trucks for the military and other forms of favoritism.

So, the 'it' which did the stealing, was Chrysler, or the US Government? Which entity held the proverbial gun to pick the proverbial pocket?
The "it" was both, and more...

... the U.S. government was the immediate actor... but would not have acted if not for Chrysler and its union... and these would not have had the power to get the government to act if not for the U.S. voter, particularly in states like Michigan. The ultimate blame lies with the neighbor who comes over to chat and says "Did you hear Romney didn't want to help GM? They can bail out Wall street, but they don't care when it is the mid-West. I think Obama will help our state!" Also, the voters who share his ideology in other states are to blame, even though they might have been against the GM bailout: because the mechanics of Washington gave them some handout in exchange for the handout to GM.

So, the government and Chrysler management and Chrysler unions are right up their at the top of the chain of causation, but many ordinary voters are behind that, with the ultimate responsibility (even if not quite the ultimate cause).

Edited by softwareNerd

The ad is a good ad, except for the hypocrisy.

I can't help but think when I see this and other Chrysler ads that this company has been bailed out several times with money looted from productive individuals. Chrysler is more Orren Boyle than Hank Rearden.

I will look at every competitive alternative before a GM or Chrysler vehicle.

Jeep should be it's own entity once again, like it used to be.

Jeep is without a doubt Chrysler's strongest brand. If any line of Chrysler's could stand on its own, it's Jeep. They would need to get away from the unions and the governments that use corporate welfare as a vote buying scheme. If Jeep were to be spun off into its own company, tell the unions to frack off, and pledge that it would stand on its own ability to make vehicles that people want to buy, with no corporate welfare of any kind, then I would happily consider its vehicles.

But they are part of Chrysler, and benefit from Chrysler's parasitism. Therefore, I will not buy a new Jeep or any other Chrysler. Chrysler and GM deserve nothing but oblivion.