Objectivism Online Forum

Prepare Yourself to Quit Smoking

Rate this topic

It is possible to give up smoking by replacing cigarettes with new habits and planning a special program or timetable or by seeking professional help. This Way to quit smoking requires a clear mind and a strong heart.

To prepare oneself for quitting, first of all one needs to positively decide that he wants to quit. No matter how difficult it is, the negative thoughts must not discourage him. The reasons why he wants to quit should be clear. Physically one should start conditioning oneself. He must start an exercise program, drink lots of fluids, take rest and avoid fatigue. A target date for quitting should be set. It can be a special day like a birthday, anniversary or so to hold specific importance. One must be mentally prepared to face the withdrawal symptoms. It must also be made clear that the craving for cigarettes last only for a few minutes. If one is able to overcome those moments, quitting is easy. Relapse occurs generally in the first three months of quitting due to situational triggers or stressful events. One must be prepared to face such situations. Involving ones family or friends could be very helpful. They can be an important source of support.

Before quitting one can change to a distasteful brand of cigarette or a brand that contains low amount of tar and nicotine. The number of cigarettes should be slowly reduced. One can delay lighting cigarette by an hour each day. Or one can decide on smoking only in the odd or even hours of the day. One can also decide on the number of cigarettes that he would be allowed to smoke that particular day. Changing eating habits like drinking lots of water or milk discourages smoking.

Though these things may seem trivial, they go a long way to help quitting smoking.

My main criticism of all this would be that you don't even attempt to provide a reason as to why anything you suggest and have to offer (besides the obvious: quit smoking) is a good idea. You just list a series of things "one could do", and products "that are powerful and non-nicotine based", as if that's a description of what they are.

For what it's worth, quitting cigarettes cold turkey, nicotine gum/patches for a few months and replacing the habit of smoking with something else, in my case soft drinks and coffee (which I then had to replace with tea so I would recommend going straight for tea), worked like a charm. And I can explain exactly how and why that works.

For what it's worth, quitting cigarettes cold turkey, <snip> replacing the habit of smoking with <snip> coffee (which I then had to replace with tea so I would recommend going straight for tea), worked like a charm. And I can explain exactly how and why that works.

Cold turkey worked before. Relapsed after a couple of years. Getting ready to stop again. A long time avid coffee drinker, although tea is ok, your explaination may serve of interest and benifit.

Thanks in advance.