Objectivism Online Forum

Day of Prayer in Honor of Dying Athiest

Rate this topic

SapereAude

I wouldn't read too much into it if I were Hitchens. Christians have a duty to pray for everyone, including their enemies. If they don't show enough love, God strikes them down with vengeance. In fact God puts so much emphasis on love that people who have hatred in their hearts often end up spending eternity literally on fire, being tortured by the Devil.

Hitchens' explanation sounds about right.

The way ... Hitchens sees it, the people praying for him break down into three basic groups: those who seem genuinely glad he's suffering and dying from cancer; those who want him to become a believer in their religious faith; and those who are asking God to heal him.

Submitted without comment:

http://news.yahoo.co...hitchens_cancer

Sad to see him going; his prospects are grim after the cancer reached his lymph nodes, and especially if his lung is affected. While he can be rude, most of the time I wind up feeling like his opponents deserve it, and that the culture publicly needs it. Also, he takes a hefty media beating. These days those championing reason are treated like loons, while the quacks get a better treatment. But he maintains his integrity to the end.