Objectivism Online Forum

UN listens as Iran's leader declares death of capitalism

Rate this topic

SapereAude

He's teh President which would commonly be considered "leader".
What CS is eluding to is that the real power in Iran is the "supreme leader" Khamenei and those who revolve around him, e.g. the security apparatus and so on. Still, their president has his own band of thugs, and that comes via gathering a certain degree of power, and brings a certain degree of power. Ahmadinejad probably has no say at all in the setting strategic direction around things like nukes and war. Rather than a CEO of Iran, he's like the senor manager of a big aspect of the country.

What CS is eluding to is that the real power in Iran is the "supreme leader" Khamenei and those who revolve around him, e.g. the security apparatus and so on. Still, their president has his own band of thugs, and that comes via gathering a certain degree of power, and brings a certain degree of power. Ahmadinejad probably has no say at all in the setting strategic direction around things like nukes and war. Rather than a CEO of Iran, he's like the senor manager of a big aspect of the country.

I understand that, and a couple years or even one year ago I would have agreed.

But what I've been reading from Iran's more internal news sources indicate that the Ahmadinejad Administration has been pulling off some successful power plays as late. It could be dangerous to consider him more irrelevent than he is.

Bingo.

I understand that, and a couple years or even one year ago I would have agreed.

But what I've been reading from Iran's more internal news sources indicate that the Ahmadinejad Administration has been pulling off some successful power plays as late. It could be dangerous to consider him more irrelevent than he is.

Nothing has changed. You know why? Because the people that actually do have the power in Iran do not like Ahmadenijad, and they are constantly at odds with each other with behind-the-curtains politics. I of course am not saying Khamenei and crew aren't crazy bastards, but they are certainly not as stupid as we act like they are when it comes to both political and military strategy. Also, Ahmadinejad's people control the media, so of course they are going to revolve things around him. He is a populist in the sense that he stirs up the feelings of an urge to return to former glory via empire, but many of his extreme views are not actionable militarily (because they are in control of the real people in power), or amongst the general populace, which actually has, more or less, a fairly pro-american attitude (the people, not the US government, and they have plenty of reason for not liking our government...)

A brief, by no means, complete but useful piece about the current power structure struggles in Iran for anyone unfamiliar with what CS and Nerd are discussing:

http://bit.ly/bntLFu

For those on twitter who are interested in following the political situation in Iran @SaloumehZ is a good follow for constantly updated information

Edited to add link

Edited by SapereAude

A brief, by no means, complete but useful piece about the current power structure struggles in Iran for anyone unfamiliar with what CS and Nerd are discussing:

http://bit.ly/bntLFu

For those on twitter who are interested in following the political situation in Iran @SaloumehZ is a good follow for constantly updated information

Edited to add link

Thanks, this explains things quite well as far as I can tell by my quick once-over.