Objectivism Online Forum

A Question About Military Alliances

Rate this topic

I'd like to ask a question about alliances, with the use of a hypothetical scenario.

Assume that the US is a completely Capitalist country. Australia, with its population of 20 million is also a fully Capitalist country. Australia is invaded by Indonesia, the largest Islamic country in the world, because Indonesia wants Australia's vast amounts of land and natural resources. Australia's small defense force is no match for them.

Now, in this situation, would it be in the US' national interest to go and help Australia? I'm thinking that it would, because such an invasion is essentially an attack against the principle of freedom, and defending such a principle would be in the American national interest. Is this correct?

As usual, the answer to the question, "what is the proper thing to do in some specific case?" depends on the case.

Generally, other people are a value to a rational person. They are people who have values to offer - whether economic, intellectual, spiritual, romantic, any kind. When other people are threatened, your values are as well.

Moreover, the elimination of evil is also generally to your advantage, even if that evil is not attacking you just now.

I'd like to ask a question about alliances, with the use of a hypothetical scenario.

Assume that the US is a completely Capitalist country. Australia, with its population of 20 million is also a fully Capitalist country. Australia is invaded by Indonesia, the largest Islamic country in the world, because Indonesia wants Australia's vast amounts of land and natural resources. Australia's small defense force is no match for them.

Now, in this situation, would it be in the US' national interest to go and help Australia? I'm thinking that it would, because such an invasion is essentially an attack against the principle of freedom, and defending such a principle would be in the American national interest. Is this correct?

I would agree with you. If you don't defend a capitalist ally, you are inviting an attack on your own country. It's not the country that's being attacked, but the fundamental right to life. That's something worth being defended.

If the U.S. is truly a capitalist nation, then the only money spent in a war would be money freely given by the citizens (i.e. donations) and the only soldiers sent to fight in a war would be volunteers. So whether or not a capitalist nation goes to war (and the extent of its commitment to the war) is entirely dependent on the preferences of individual citizens. It is no longer a question of a commander-in-chief issuing an order and millions marching in lock-step to carry it out.