Objectivism Online Forum

All Money Actually Belongs to the Government

Rate this topic

SapereAude

Money belongs to everyone one of us. And there should be consequences to holding onto money and never departing with it because it's not really yours--it's the governments--it's all of ours.

Lol. No savings allowed, I guess.

Fair enough. Does that mean that if I opt out of this government program, and start trading in gold or a private currency, I become tax exempt? Just say the word, and I'll never touch another dollar again.

In Canada, according to the Canada Revenue Agency guidelines (taxation), that is "bartering", and it is taxable, unless it is an occasional action not related to commercial business.

A professor I knew had his home searched and his personal 'inventory' assessed, but because he had bartered for so much of his livelihood, the CRA dropped their investigation because what he had been trading (limited edition lithographs and other hand-pulled prints he'd created) was not easily appraised. To tax him, they'd have to have record of every transaction he made and then value the print he bartered at the price of the service/product he received, but he barters and the law doesn't require him to invoice or make out receipts unless he is making monetary exchanges. So, it was a stalemate. He continued to barter. B)

Edited by Imogen

When the U.S. dollar does not circulate, it's value is nothing.

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works. Both Canada and the U.S. use a fiat money system; it isn't dollar-for-calculated-amount-of-gold-in-reserve anymore, so I don't think it could possibly matter how much paper money is held in vaults since the people continue to produce goods/services in excess of the value of all of this stored money.

I guess this might be a problem if every American just decided simultaneously to sit down on his hands, shut down his brain, and not produce anything ever again. I don't think that will happen.

Wealth produces wealth; this is a demonstrable reality. Wealth (itself- or as the author seems to define it: lack of circulation or refusal to spend all of one's holdings) has never been the cause of poverty... :wacko:

I can vouch for what happens from ensuring that my money continues to circulate though, lol. I guess I'm just doing my part for the greater good. :P

And there should be consequences to holding onto money and never departing with it because it's not really yours--it's the governments--it's all of ours.

I understand that this whole article makes little sense, but this quotation especially confuses me. Is he advocating that you never save money in the bank and always spend it?

• 3 weeks later...