Objectivism Online Forum

Nevada Senate

Rate this topic

DanLane

Nevada Senate race

Reid's ad campaigns are giving him a chance to keep his job, despite the healthy majority of voters who wanted him out just a few months ago. Sharon Angle, who is apparently "just too extreme", seems like a cookie-cutter republican who tried a little too hard to pander to alleged Tea Party values like privatized education. All Reid had to do was cut and paste about 15 seconds of combined sound byte and put EXTREMIST in the caption, and the whole bandwagon was derailed. The most damaging one is when she says that part of the reason for the second ammendement is armed resistance. Of course it cuts off before she states the conditions which would justify that course of action, so I can't tell whether to support that one or not.

They're dead even, but the momentum is still going the wrong way. I feel like Angle has to do nothing but pick a well-defined stance on the issues and start defending it, but that's a lot to ask of the party of compromise. Even if she leaves the whole issue of Obamacare alone and emphasizes the blatantly criminal bribes Reid used to tack senators onto it she could destroy his credibility, even with hardcore democrats. In a perfect world she would drop the pro-"life"/anti-gay package and demonstrate that she knows a moral reaon why the scope of government should be limited, but repealing Obamacare is at the top of the agenda for me.

So, is this trend the result of the flimsy philosophical foundations of the local Tea Party? Can Angle win by sticking to the (relatively) rational stances she's being attacked for / should she stick to them anyway for integrity's sake? Also, if anyone has a link to Angle's "exteme" comments in full context that would be great. If not I'll find them before elections. There may be democrats we can afford to leave in power to support gridlock and to let them take the blame for their policies. I argue that Reid, Pelosi, and a few others who have enough pull to pass the things we've seen in the past couple years are not on this list, but there are Other Threads for that discussion.