Objectivism Online Forum

Obama visits Madison

Rate this topic

Obama in Madison Speech Fires up Potential Democratic Voters

President Obama visited my campus (UW-Madison) today to pander to my peers (and, as I watch the Facebook updates, they have unfortunately proven to be as much a cult of personality as I thought). I managed to avoid getting caught in this generally, but I listened to a few minutes of the speech at work--basically "Republicans this" and "Republicans that." He made sure to emphasize just how much is riding on the coming elections, going so far as to say that anybody from "the other side" (being... Republicans? Tea Partiers? Free Marketeers?) who wins an election will do as much as they can to reverse the Dems' "accomplishments" and pursue the policies that "ruined the economy." So much for a commitment to bipartisanship and bringing our country together. Past his arrogant bravado, past the faces gleaming with faith in Dear Leader, I see fear, anger, hatred.

So, to him and his supporters-- "Them's fightin' words."

Incidentally, my campus Oist group has brought in speakers the last two semesters (Epstein and Biddle), and both times the lectures were filled with people (200+).

The man knows that he is a helplessly incompetent leader.

I'm afraid I disagree with you there.

Obama's goal is to end American exceptionalism, dismantle our economy, destroy the middle class and put us deeper under the thumb of the United Nations.

His goals may be evil but he's been quite successful. He's not incompetent and it does not do well to dismiss someone with such a dangerous ideology.

I'm afraid I disagree with you there.

Obama's goal is to end American exceptionalism, dismantle our economy, destroy the middle class and put us deeper under the thumb of the United Nations.

His goals may be evil but he's been quite successful. He's not incompetent and it does not do well to dismiss someone with such a dangerous ideology.

It looks like we agree. I was not being dismissive of how dangerous his ideology is. I was also not being dismissive of the danger of having an ideologically backwards leader at the highest level of political power.

My comment was that, by now, he must know that his ideology is being rejected. He must be aware that he is now in a public position where no matter how many free passes the media and his friends try to give him, his ability to speak in platitudes only is of no use anymore. He is lashing out now, he looks old and angry while his hopeandchange schtick isn't working. He is in the most powerful political office in the world, and for the first time in his life, he's being judged on concrete actions. As narcissistic as he his, there is no way he can ignore his own inability to even communicate to voters any more. He may think he can get his mojo back, but he knows he's lost it for now.

Do you think he is sheltered from how manufactured the process for him to even get a crowd to speak to is? He is an evader of the truth, but to me it looks like he knows. You see it in the anger.

...so yeah, now he is more dangerous. People who covet power and feel that their own moral superiority allow them to exercise coercive power are the most dangerous. Fortunately, our government structure and what is left of America's "sense of life" will make it very difficult for him to be as successful in the short time he has in office (whether that be another 2 or 6 years).

This is not to say he hasn't done enough damage already, and won't continue to do more. It is just that being the President of the United States of America comes with a pretty bright spotlight. And, thankfully, people can still judge.

Edited by freestyle

In case anyone was interested, here's some actual footage.

Perhaps these people *should* win--I'd love to see an emergency broadcast down the road interrupted with: "Ladies and gentlemen, Mr. Obama will not speak to you tonight. His time is up. I have taken it over. You were to hear a report on the world crisis. That is what you are going to hear." :P

On second thought, let's do our best to avoid that road.