Objectivism Online Forum

Reprehensible video on carbon cutting

Rate this topic

ENikolai

An environmental organisation called 10:10 Global has published a video to promote one of their initiatives. It demonstrates their anti-human mentality and their totalitarian stance on individuals who refuse to conform. As an example, the first scene shows an environmentalist blowing up school children who aren't willing to cut their carbon footprints.

It's odd, that's for sure. At first I thought it was a parody, but no, it's from an actual environmentalist group, and those are actual English soccer stars in it.

Yes, it's all a bit too predictable.

Considering the writer is Richard Curtis (of the black-humoured "Blackadder" series), I'm leaning towards parody - OR, that he slipped this past 10.10 as a deliberate sabotage of the eco-fascist mission.

Otherwise, it is disturbing that anyone thought this would be acceptable publicity; I mean, who do they think we are?

But it does show up their cause to be glaringly totalitarian - any dissenters (read, thinkers) shall not be tolerated.

May it explode in their faces.

Many people found the resulting film extremely funny, but unfortunately some didn't and we sincerely apologise to anybody we have offended.

This is what they posted on their website. I can't imagine anyone who would be offended by the murder of children... Also, are people still obsessed with this carbon dioxide omission nonsense. Termites omit more carbon dioxide each year then all living things combined. Maybe they should go after those little boogers before blowing up kids.

What I found telling was the portrayal of the people being blown up; unkempt-looking slacker and outsider types who stood apart from the group.

Looks like 10:10 utterly lost the sense to even be presentable to the mainstream and have regressed to the eliminationist tribal mentality at the root of their ideas.

I think it was a bit of self-parody. People are crying about this way too much. I thought the actual video was funny, including finding out it was actually an environmentalist organization doing it.

Consider that you're wrong and it was never intended by 10:10 as a SELF parody. Would your conclusion change?

"At 10:10 we're all about trying new and creative ways of getting people to take action on climate change. Unfortunately in this instance we missed the mark. Oh well, we live and learn." http://www.1010global.org/no-pressure

Also, what made the video funny to you outside of the fact that it was really made by an environmentalist org? I agree, there is some humor in their support of this folly.

WHat made the video funny: juxtaposition of moderate, sanely stated and passive political positions and extremely absurd acts of violence. It's also funny because it's how the more hardline environmentalists operate. "Oh, we're all about diversity of opinion. No big deal. YOu're just the scum of the earth is all.".

There is something I'm taking from this disgusting spectacle: I - and most here - KNOW that these people are wrong; wrong in their shaky science, wrong in their power greed, wrong in their hatred of the mind, wrong in their rush to judge and punish.

But they, too, 'KNOW' they are right. Also, they will not hesitate to push the red button. That's the ultimate self-righteousness, translated into ultimate force.

I'm asking myself: do I ever do that? Even in the most minor way, do I ever hit the red button, unjustly, or irrationally, on another person?

Don't mind me - just wondering.:huh:

Really, do you think these people actually want to kill people who don't comply with some stupid movement? It's there to be absurd and silly, not to threaten people.

And "Shaky science"? 97% of the science community agrees that global warming is occurring and that humans to some extent contribute. I don't think we should take political action or that industrial society is somehow inherently evil, but it is not an absurd claim that changes should be made. To what extent, in what way and for what reasons are or should be the issues at hand. I think it would take a skeptic of climate science a hell of a lot of proof to cast serious doubts on the accepted science of the day.

Edited by TheEgoist

I think it was a bit of self-parody.

The video was not thought up by the group, but by a British comedy writer. So it's not a self parody, it's satire (extremely biting, dry satire, at that). And the viros didn't pick up on it when they OKd the ad as a means of promoting their ideology. Had they done that, they would've either ran with it or stopped it at the start. They wouldn't be issuing statements saying they don't think it's a good way to promote themselves anymore.

And "Shaky science"? 97% of the science community agrees that global warming is occurring and that humans to some extent contribute.

That's neither true nor a valid argument. Pretty much every specific claim the group supposedly drawing all that consensus (the IPCC) made about the subject has been proven false. At this point there is nothing credible supporting the notion that GW is occurring due to industrial CO2 emissions.

97% of the science community agrees that global warming is occurring and that humans to some extent contribute.

Not 97% of the science community; 97% of climate scientists. When you open the discussion up to meteorologist for example, it's 64%. "The science community" at large was around 70-80% last I heard.

I'm asking myself: do I ever do that? Even in the most minor way, do I ever hit the red button, unjustly, or irrationally, on another person?

Don't mind me - just wondering.:huh:

I think what you are trying to do is scour for something remotely relatable to make sense of the vid. Understandable.

Irrational aggression is a normal, though tragic, part of the human experience. But note the cold casualness of the actors pushing the button; they exhibit no emotion before, during and after the act. There is no anger, zeal, triumph or catharsis. Mass murder is no more significant than emptying a dustbin. Also note the evasive, dismissive tone of their official apology; as if they can't conceive of what is so objectionable in the vid and a hypersensitive minority is artificially fueling the backlash.

This may be psychologizing but I speculate that the viros are aware of something seriously 'wrong' but a disturbance of identity prevents them from tracing this wrongness to its true source: themselves. Hence, they project their own wrongness onto the rest of the species.

What they probably want, deep down, is for someone to come along and push the red button on THEM.

Edited by Mister A

I think what you are trying to do is scour for something remotely relatable to make sense of the vid. Understandable.

Irrational aggression is a normal, though tragic, part of the human experience. But note the cold casualness of the actors pushing the button; they exhibit no emotion before, during and after the act. There is no anger, zeal, triumph or catharsis. Mass murder is no more significant than emptying a dustbin. Also note the evasive, dismissive tone of their official apology; as if they can't conceive of what is so objectionable in the vid and a hypersensitive minority is artificially fueling the backlash.

This may be psychologizing but I speculate that the viros are aware of something seriously 'wrong' but a disturbance of identity prevents them from tracing this wrongness to its true source: themselves. Hence, they project their own wrongness onto the rest of the species.

What they probably want, deep down, is for someone to come along and push the red button on THEM.

That is pretty insightful commentary.

Excuse a small detour off-topic, but I have found that examining the wrong and irrationality perpetrated by others - as with 10:10 - a great source of value.

Sure, one part is "relatable"... you mean these people are the same species as me? Where are we the same, where do we diverge? Another value is knowing my foe, what makes him tick, so I may effectively confront him.

Overall, it's got to be a high value for one to understand the "rational animal", towards the ultimate value of knowing oneself.

Really, do you think these people actually want to kill people who don't comply with some stupid movement?

They don't consider their movement stupid. And yes, I do think that deep down they would prefer to "purge" the world of the undesirables. You see it in all their comedy - leftists are always "joking" about killing their political opponents. In the end, their philosophy is authoritarian and statist. If you do not comply, they support forced compliance. We know where all this leads. Just track down the roots of modern environmentalism for yourself. See where it leads you.

A few days ago:

And check the quote at the end of this remix: