Objectivism Online Forum

Jan Brewer SB 1070

Rate this topic

Objectivists are very split on the topic of Arizona's recent legislation regarding illegal immigrants. I ask that this not derail into another argument about that.

What I would like to discuss here is our court system allowing foreign countries to weigh in on US legistlation. The DOJ intends to allow Mexico, Argentina, Boliva, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Paraguay and Peru to join in the suit against Arizona SB 1070.

It would seem to me inappropriate to allow this to happen no matter how one feels about the law itself.

This is Jan Brewer's statement: http://www.janbrewer.com/article/governor-jan-brewer-objects-to-foreign

It would seem to me inappropriate to allow this to happen no matter how one feels about the law itself.

Well, there's no law against it. Should there be one? Is there a general reason for not allowing foreign governments to bring evidence or to appeal to a justice system in another country?

As for his case, as far as I can discern Jan Brewer's only argument is that listening to what Mexico has to say is offensive to her and many citizens. My reply would be that I don't care about her feelings, and neither should the Court.

Obviously, if these countries really have nothing to add, there's no reason to listen to them, but I can think of plenty of relevant information they might be able to bring to the table. Their citizens are being accused of being criminals, of destroying our society, etc.(those are the reasons given for this attempt at targeting them) Couldn't the governments they used to be subject to have some relevant information on whether that is true?