Objectivism Online Forum

Culture War Between Right And Left

Rate this topic

Tom Rexton

If anything, this election clearly demonstrated the growing cultural rift between the rising religious right and the declining left. The rift is deepenning to the point that small demonstrations of (light) violence between the two have begun to erupt--especially from the loosing leftist side. The issues at stake this election year and in the country in general are deeply MORAL issues as well as political and economical.

In my albeit short life-time (18 years) and having lived in the United States since I was 9 years old, I've never seen such bitter division between the two groups. In my very own high school, friends who supported opposing candidates would even passionately argue to the point that they have to reassure each other their friendships. I've heard my own classmates struggle with the moral issues, arguing amongst themselves about religion and morality (discussion topics which obviously confirmed the fact that those issues dominated the minds of most voters in this election).

Of course, the current division from this election still pales compared to the election of 1860, but as the religious right gradually gains more and more power and as the bankrupt left continually loses power, do you expect the violence, hatred and angst to escalate to levels similar to those in the United States in the 1850's? Could it possibly split the country to the point of secession and civil war again?

Could it possibly split the country to the point of secession and civil war again?

If there is a civil war, it's gonna be a one-sided affair. 63% of the gun owners voted for Bush. The most virulent of the looney left is so afraid of guns they can't stand to be in the same room with one.

Seriously, though, I don't think you have to worry about a civil war, though I can see why you might. I was your age in 1970, when Nixon announced the invasion of Cambodia and widespread protests and rioting occurred, mostly on college campuses. When the Ohio National Guard shot and killed four students during a protest at Kent State, I had similar feelings. My god, the country is tearing itself apart.

But the rule of law prevailed, we survived it, and we'll survive the current strife.

If anything, this election clearly demonstrated the growing cultural rift between the rising religious right and the declining left.  The rift is deepenning to the point that small demonstrations of (light) violence between the two have begun to erupt--especially from the loosing leftist side.  The issues at stake this election year and in the country in general are deeply MORAL issues as well as political and economical.

I think part of the reason Kerry lost the election may have been due to the very loud extremist views from a few on the left. That element seems to be the same who act out violently. If Democrats were to try to reflect honestly among themselves, I think they would see that the negativity and emphatic hatred by a few toward "mainstream" America has ultimately done damage to their political party.

I've seen e-mail forwards already from some of them suggesting they become more tolerant of religion (Christians) again. So they will either continue with their Michael Moore approach or to try to appear more politically moderate. (not that I advocate either party or any of their approaches)

While scrolling through Instapundit today I found a quote belonging to Napoleon Bonaparte that is quite suitable (at least for me today), I looked up the actual quote online - as it is worded slightly different:

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

- Napoleon Bonaparte

In life you will come across people who will drive you absolutely crazy because they have no ethics, make stupid life choices and then holler about consequence and sometimes even try to draw you in to their drama. I have found satisfaction watching those people self destruct over time.

I don't think we need to worry about a civil war at this time. :D

-Elizabeth

If anything, this election clearly demonstrated the growing cultural rift between the rising religious right and the declining left.

The title of this thread uses the phrase "cultural war." That phrase deserves exact definition. At least for some anthropologists and historians, "culture" (as distinct from society) usually refers to the products of human action, that is, the products that one generation can pass on nonbiologically to the next generation. Examples are symphonies, electronic instrumentation, institutions, laws, plastic cups, and philosophies (as recorded in books, for instance).

Given that definition, I suggest (as a target) that "culture war" (aka "cultural war") is a misnomer. The conflict ("war") is actually a philosophical war in this sense: it is a conflict across a broad range of issues up and down the philosophical hierarchy, ranging from the nature of the world (metaphysics) to what constitutes a good political system or good art (esthetics).

This conflict usually plays out through fights over proxy issues rather than over philosophical principles. For example the conflict over whether to wage war in Iraq is only the tip of the philosophical iceberg. Underlying the conflict are two (or more) conflicting philosophies (ontology, epistemology, ethics, and politics). Another example that arises in cities is the fight over naming streets: Marx Boulevard or Avenue of the Holy Spirit? (Usually, of course, the names are more subtle than that.)

The bad news for Objectivists is that the purported two sides are horribly mixed. We must choose sides or stand aside. Either way, we can play a vital long-term rule by making the fundamental issues clear and then offering an objective solution.

The title of this thread uses the phrase "cultural war." That phrase deserves exact definition. At least for some anthropologists and historians, "culture" (as distinct from society) usually refers to the products of human action, that is, the products that one generation can pass on nonbiologically to the next generation. Examples are symphonies, electronic instrumentation, institutions, laws, plastic cups, and philosophies (as recorded in books, for instance).

Given that definition, I suggest (as a target) that "culture war" (aka "cultural war") is a misnomer. The conflict ("war") is actually a philosophical war in this sense: it is a conflict across a broad range of issues up and down the philosophical hierarchy, ranging from the nature of the world (metaphysics) to what constitutes a good political system or good art (esthetics).

[...]

Well, I used the name "culture war" because that is what it is called by most people. I didn't intend to present a more apt name, though your point is well-taken.

If there is a civil war, it's gonna be a one-sided affair.  63% of the gun owners voted for Bush.  The most virulent of the looney left is so afraid of guns they can't stand to be in the same room with one. 

Yep. In a gunfight between Bubba and the hippie, it's Bubba every time. :)