Objectivism Online Forum

Homeland Security shuts down dozens of websites

Rate this topic

While some of the sites involved, may have been legitimately breaking the law, I'm not so sure this is the way to prosecute them. What I think this really is, is a trial balloon to open a gateway to shut down any website at will. Who will defend these guys or care? Tyrants always attack a minority first to see if they can get away with it. This is only the beginning.

Link to story at The Hill

While some of the sites involved, may have been legitimately breaking the law, I'm not so sure this is the way to prosecute them. What I think this really is, is a trial balloon to open a gateway to shut down any website at will. Who will defend these guys or care? Tyrants always attack a minority first to see if they can get away with it. This is only the beginning.

Everything the government is doing lately seems to be a test of what the sheeple are willing to endure. The websites initially mentioned in the article did indeed seem to be breaking the law. But that would be the smartest way for the government to go about this. Get a few guilty so people don't think it's a big deal, meanwhile the cattle ignore how many innnocent were caught in the same unconstitutional net.

I didn't follow the link. I just want to point out that a police officer need not wait for an investigation, court order, or trial to draw his weapon and stop a man running out of a bank with a ski mask, gun, and bag full of money. The executive branch is justified in acting to stop apparent crimes in progress. If no crime was committed, then punishment for the officers invovled and reparations to the offended can be discussed. I just want to make sure you realize that theft of software via cracks and file-sharing is not essentially different than theft of cash at gunpoint.

I didn't follow the link. I just want to point out that a police officer need not wait for an investigation, court order, or trial to draw his weapon and stop a man running out of a bank with a ski mask, gun, and bag full of money. The executive branch is justified in acting to stop apparent crimes in progress. If no crime was committed, then punishment for the officers invovled and reparations to the offended can be discussed. I just want to make sure you realize that theft of software via cracks and file-sharing is not essentially different than theft of cash at gunpoint.

Oh I realize, but this is not the normal way to deal with this. Usually arresting the person who committed the crime for one... Since these are all U.S. based file sharing websites that is probably possible. You are missing the point: since when did the Department of Homeland Security posses the power to shut down any website at will??? Why only now are they bothering to enforce copyright? It's fishy, especially in the hands of such a fascist "command and control" administration. I wonder why there has been no press release about this? Perhaps they don't want anyone to know?

This is a grab for executive branch control of Internet censorship.