Objectivism Online Forum

Something about this doesn't feel right

Rate this topic

Unsinkable Captain of Spoofs

As the topic title suggests, I found this article disturbing. Not because its about Leslie Nielsen, who I found could be quite funny (and who I loved in his serious role in "Forbidden Planet", agreat classic science fiction movie). But rather what the author says. It sounds, particularly in the latter half, strikingly Toohey-ish.

Examples:

"No, the uniqueness of Leslie Nielsen is inseparable from the nonspecialness of much of his career, his brilliant lack of distinction. "

"Looking back, it is easy to see that the times required someone like Leslie Nielsen: a handsome silver-haired gentleman of fatherly demeanor willing to commit and submit to any kind of indignity without losing his cool."

I don't know, it seems wrong on some level. Leslie Nielsen sure was great at deadpan, but I don't understand why someone would put it in such terms. There were a couple other examples in the article, so I suggest you read it (also for context of the above statements, obviously). Does anyone else get a similar impression from this article?

Very simply, Leslie Nielsen was an entertainer and actor but still someone who had to pay his bills.

He clearly did not take himself so seriously that he was above the role of comedic actor.

Irrespective of what A.O. Scott penned, I thought Leslie was a good actor and he made me laugh

when I watched him in his roles.

I think that was the basic objective of acting in a comedy.

He was funny, he was entertaining.

Thanks for the laughs Leslie ...