Objectivism Online Forum

Industrial Revolution

Rate this topic

non-contradictor

I am doing some research for my history class and I'm hitting a brick wall, so to speak. Does anyone know where I might find proof that during the industrial revolution power shifted from the farmers to the industries? I am looking for two specific elections where that was an issue, but all the records I have found do not seem terribly concerned with the issues. Some thoughts would be very much appreciated. :)

I am doing some research for my history class and I'm hitting a brick wall, so to speak. Does anyone know where I might find proof that during the industrial revolution power shifted from the farmers to the industries? I am looking for two specific elections where that was an issue, but all the records I have found do not seem terribly concerned with the issues. Some thoughts would be very much appreciated. :)

This is not political proof (good luck finding any) but rather based on evidence from the American Civil War. The industrialized North was able to beat the South because of the ability to create weapons, supplies, and ship them with railroads far more more efficiently.

If you are only looking for political proof there might be something buried in one of my History books about politics during that time. I could give you a general view that the South was upset because they wanted an economy based around farming and the North wanted to advance and they were raising tariffs which hurt the Southern economy. It was during this time that the North began to become more politically powerful, the South seceded in response.

I am doing some research for my history class and I'm hitting a brick wall, so to speak. Does anyone know where I might find proof that during the industrial revolution power shifted from the farmers to the industries? I am looking for two specific elections where that was an issue, but all the records I have found do not seem terribly concerned with the issues. Some thoughts would be very much appreciated.   :D

Modern economic and political history isn't my field of historical interest. However, perhaps I can give you some leads that might pay off.

First, what do you mean by "power"? A working definition might help you focus your search. Keep in mind that there are many kinds of power. Knowing which one(s) might help you narrow down your research.

Second, if you are looking at controversies that come up during election campaigns, keep in mind that politicians often debate proxy issues, that is, issues that stand in place of more fundamental issues. Look for the proxy issues and perform philosophical detection on them to discover the underlying ideas. A controversy over whether to impose a tariff on incoming manufactured goods would be an example because it was probably designed to "protect" local industrialists at the expense of everyone -- including farmers -- buying the products.

Third, which country are you focusing on? The U. S.? Canada? W. European countries? Modern India?

Long-term, a book that might give you some leads is T. S. Ashton's Capitalism and the Historians, a work that looks at the distortions that leftist historians imposed on their interpretations (mostly false) of the Industrial Revolution.

P. S. -- Your question is well-written and stimulating. Thank you.

I am doing some research for my history class and I'm hitting a brick wall, so to speak. Does anyone know where I might find proof that during the industrial revolution power shifted from the farmers to the industries? I am looking for two specific elections where that was an issue, but all the records I have found do not seem terribly concerned with the issues. Some thoughts would be very much appreciated. :D

Capitalism The Creator: The Economic Foundations of Modern Industrial Society, Carl Snyder, The Macmillan Company, 1940. An excellent starting resource. For more detailed information there are many scholarly papers in Journals such as The Economic History Review, the Journal of Economic Literature, and The Historical Journal, amongst others. E. L. Jones' book Agriculture and the Industrial Revolution, Oxford, 1974, is very often referenced, though I have not seen the book myself.

BurgessLau Wrote:

First, what do you mean by "power"? A working definition might help you focus your search. Keep in mind that there are many kinds of power. Knowing which one(s) might help you narrow down your research.

Second, if you are looking at controversies that come up during election campaigns, keep in mind that politicians often debate proxy issues, that is, issues that stand in place of more fundamental issues. Look for the proxy issues and perform philosophical detection on them to discover the underlying ideas. A controversy over whether to impose a tariff on incoming manufactured goods would be an example because it was probably designed to "protect" local industrialists at the expense of everyone -- including farmers -- buying the products.

Power: the ability to make or influence decisions

In this case I am looking for political power as I need two specific U.S. Presidential elections where the Industries gained power, or one candidate wanted the industries to gain power.

But just to give the whole picture, this is what I am trying to do: I need to establish that a continuity in technology in the period of 1790 to 1900 influenced two U.S. Presidential elections in that time period. My chosen topic is patents. I wish to establish that the ability of individuals to have rights to their own work was a key element of the industrial revolution, which led to industialists gaining more power. Whether or not this is possible is what I am attempting to find out. The tariffs are a good lead, I thank you for that, but I am having trouble finding a specific President who advocated such a tariff.

P. S. -- Your question is well-written and stimulating. Thank you.

Not at all. Thank you. :D And thank you all for your suggestions.

What I think you should look to in terms of elections is the one of 1896 between McKinley and William Jennings Bryant. The whole point of his "cross of gold" speech and his push for silver backed money (more of it) was to help farmers pay debts more easily. He was soundly beaten, twice, on this issue and could be seen as the most obvious electoral rejection of some farmers interests, though the farmers would get their revenge in FDR's administration.

What I think you should look to in terms of elections is the one of 1896 between McKinley and William Jennings Bryant. The whole point of his "cross of gold" speech and his push for silver backed money (more of it) was to help farmers pay debts more easily. He was soundly beaten, twice, on this issue and could be seen as the most obvious electoral rejection of some farmers interests, though the farmers would get their revenge in FDR's administration.

Perfect! Thank you. :D