Objectivism Online Forum

Ayn Rand interview with Tom Snyder

Rate this topic

While this interviewer was great, I still often feel like Dominique Francon watching interviews of Rand - like the interviewer is trying to degrade her, or bring her philosophy down. :/

No..this is how interviews are SUPPOSED to be. Instead most interviews these days you hardly know more than a few dispersed facts that you didn't know before and haven't really learned anything from the interviewee. I believe she did say before that she did not like these interviews because she felt it never gave her the proper amount of time needed to explain the philosophy.

No..this is how interviews are SUPPOSED to be. Instead most interviews these days you hardly know more than a few dispersed facts that you didn't know before and haven't really learned anything from the interviewee. I believe she did say before that she did not like these interviews because she felt it never gave her the proper amount of time needed to explain the philosophy.

I'm young enough to guess you might be onto something...there was a similar style in the Phil Donahue interview

When someone like Tom Snyder attempts to discuss a book he has not read with the author who, I cringe. This clip was quite informative and as philosophy and epistemology may seem abstract at first, Ayn does a good job of breaking down the base concept into understandable language. As the tag line under the clip states, we are first and foremost responsible for ourselves and to ourselves. If we cannot meet these two essentials, how then can we expect to be of any use to others around us?

Edited by prescient

This was one of my favorite interviews I've seen... (I still want to see the Carson interviews... I've only read transcripts, but those appeared to be good too).

Snyder doesn't seem to be trying to put her on the defensive (the way Mike Wallace and Donahue did). Snyder was asking questions and allowing her time to respond.

I'm young enough to guess you might be onto something...there was a similar style in the Phil Donahue interview

A lot of the mainstream media is a victim of this "I have learned pretty much nothing after this interview except a few sparse facts that probably don't even connect with each other well" and I absolutely cringe sometimes when it comes to The Daily Show and Colbert Report. I mean, I know those 2's main function is humor, but jesus christ the last Colbert interview I saw he had someone extremely interesting on and he just would not shut up with the jokes. She got in about 2 informative lines on what her book was about and 1 on her experiences and then the interview was over after like 2 minutes of him diverting from the conversation with jokes. Why the hell did you even have her on!?

This was one of my favorite interviews I've seen... (I still want to see the Carson interviews... I've only read transcripts, but those appeared to be good too).

Snyder doesn't seem to be trying to put her on the defensive (the way Mike Wallace and Donahue did). Snyder was asking questions and allowing her time to respond.

Oh man, I've had my eye out for the Carson interviews for a while. Never been able to find them <_<