Objectivism Online Forum

video of great presentation and Q/A by Yaron Brook in teh UK

Rate this topic

"Libertarian" in the UK doesn't have the same connotation as it does in the US, where the Libertarian Party - and all of its failings - are prominent. Rand and Objectivists have no problem with "liberty", or with advocates of liberty, who could generically be called "libertarian".

The problem is specifically with Libertarians who have co-opted her political ideas for their own ends, while disregarding the rest of the philosophy.

Edited by brian0918

The problem is specifically with Libertarians who have co-opted her political ideas for their own ends, while disregarding the rest of the philosophy.

I don't mind this, actually...because being a libertarian refers to a set of political views. The world "libertarian" generally does what I want it to. (free market, a small republic, full economic/social freedoms, a defensive military and police force, etc. I don't agree with a lot of libertarians as such on many things, but I think their political views are close to ours. In others areas they may be bad (read: pragmatism, relativism, etc.) but their political beliefs are broadly the same with some exceptions (foreign policy)

Edited by James Bond