Objectivism Online Forum

Electricity/electronics For Beginners

Rate this topic

ramKatori

I am looking for a book or web-site that can give me good explanations of certain concepts: Resistance, Inductance, Capacitance, Inductive Reactance. My hobbyist Electronics book does not do a very good job of this.

Ideally, the reference give me more than a few paragraphs. It would provide examples that help "chew" the concepts and even to visualize them. Also, ideally, the treatment will be as non-mathematical as possible.

Thank you

I am looking for a book or web-site that can give me good explanations of certain concepts: Resistance, Inductance, Capacitance, Inductive Reactance. My hobbyist Electronics book does not do a very good job of this.

Ideally, the reference give me more than a few paragraphs. It would provide examples that help "chew" the concepts and even to visualize them. Also, ideally, the treatment will be as non-mathematical as possible.

Thank you

There are much better sources which go into much more depth, along with more mathematics, but for a short and simple introduction this site seems close to what you want.

Thank you.

You're welcome. But note that these sort of presentations only scratch the surface, and I would still recommend any of the current crop of "physics for poets" sort of books for the next level of understanding. Many of these books require a minimal amount of mathematics, and some I believe teach the required mathematics along with the physics.

Here's an "online textbook" that has explanations of electricity and electronics concepts:

All About Circuits

In particular, chapters 1 and 2, on basic DC and AC circuits give a good explanation of inductance and capacitance. It does use some math, but the electric circuit concepts are introduced with lots of explanation. (Speaking of math, if you want to eventually solve AC circuit problems, using complex numbers makes the task a lot easier than it would be without them - they're a very useful concept. This web site does give an introduction to complex numbers as they apply to AC circuits.)

A first-year physics textbook would also be helpful if you want to better understand the theory behind inductance and capacitance, though it would probably require more math than you'd want at first. I don't have any particular suggestions here.

• 6 years later...