Objectivism Online Forum

Hello [Introduction]

Rate this topic

Hello, everyone, I am new to the site. I am a high school student, and, implicit by my name, I am extremely interesting with the field of mathematics. I have been a self-proclaimed Objectivist for a while; however, I have just recently started to get more interested in the Objectivist philosophy.

I am assuming you had a fundamental understanding of it, and that "get[ting] more interested" implies perhaps studying the aesthetic portions - artwork, music, etc.

Who are your favorite authors and why?

I'm afraid I'm not too interested in art/aesthetics/etc. What I am most interested about Objectivism is metaphysics, and I am also interested in the political/ethical parts.

I'm afraid I'm not too interested in art/aesthetics/etc. What I am most interested about Objectivism is metaphysics, and I am also interested in the political/ethical parts.

How could you call yourself an Objectivist, if these subjects did not interest you before? (Such was the nature of my original assumption). Particularly the ethics aspect, as that is a huge part of the package.

Edited by Summer

How could you call yourself an Objectivist, if these subjects did not interest you before? (Such was the nature of my original assumption). Particularly the ethics aspect, as that is a huge part of the package.

Hm? I am interested in metaphysics, ethics, capitalism, etc., just not particularly aesthetics.

Hm? I am interested in metaphysics, ethics, capitalism, etc., just not particularly aesthetics.

You do not understand me.

At first, I believed that you had a comprehension of the ethics, politics and so forth, because you called yourself an Objectivist. When you proceeded to say that you were only now taking up an interest, I thought it would be in more minor sections of the philosophy. But you are not concerned with those; you are aiming to identify with metaphysics, politics and ethics; are only now taking up an interest in metaphysics, politics and ethics – meaning: you do not have an adequate grasp of metaphysics, politics and ethics (yet).

I think it would be more appropriate to call yourself a student of Objectivism.

It just struck me as odd that you would say that this interest is new, but the adoption of the philosophy is old, as if there were a period of time in which you were static.

In any case, welcome.

Edited by Summer

Assuming we are both on the same page, and “interest” translates into, “interest in learning about”. If not, it might help to be specific, for future reference.

You could have an interest in expanding what you already know – it just struck me as odd that you would say that this interest is new, but the adoption of the philosophy is old. As if there were a period of time in which you were static.

In any case, welcome.

The OP states he/she is a high school student.

It is not unheard of for people of that age to declare themselves as something based on a gut feeling rather than deep and encompassing knowledge (think- I just bought a guitar-now I am a musician). The OP is at least to be credited with realizing these deficiencies and seeking to correct them.

Welcome to the forums, OM. Hope you find the information available here useful.

The OP states he/she is a high school student.

It is not unheard of for people of that age to declare themselves as something based on a gut feeling rather than deep and encompassing knowledge (think- I just bought a guitar-now I am a musician). The OP is at least to be credited with realizing these deficiencies and seeking to correct them.

All persons must earn respect. To demand it in default is irrational –

If I were to anticipate deference automatically, without putting forth an effort to prove myself, simply because of my age, I would be like the modern feminists, who are not really aspiring for equality, but who demand special treatment.

However, preconceived notions of “s/he’s young,” are bothersome. I would prefer to be received as a blank slate in the same manner that you would receive anyone else, regardless of physical manifestation. I know you were addressing Michael’s age and not my own, but it is the same concept. Michael must take responsibility for his actions – and he has done so. I have no quarrel with him whatsoever. The fact that he is here means that he is capable of reasoning, entertaining and experimenting with ideas.

With age, we gather experience. In five years, I will know more than what I know currently. But currently, I am not on the same playing field as my peers, because I made a choice. I have no idea where Michael stands, and I don’t propose to guess, either.

All this talk of, “it’s typical” is agitating, and it is my belief that the constant, “they’re young – it’s normal” statements are discouraging improvement.

I will hold him to his behavior as an individual, not his age.

My questions were fueled by personal curiosity. They are not attacks.

Edited by Summer

As an add-on: I am familiar with your reasoning. You take a situation and apply it to a principle.

If (A) generally behaves as (B ), it is not wrong to suspect that (A) will behave as (B ). My only request is that you do not justify (B ) because it is being done by (A).

(B ) is not implicit to (A).

Edited by Summer